What Virtualization product do you use, and why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I use VirtualBox, because it is free and has all of the features I need. Seamless mode, full screen, changing the screen resolution by adjusting the window's size, and it just works. Why waste $80 on Parallels or VMware when I can download VirtualBox for free? I don't think that a better "Unity" or "Coherence" mode is worth $80. I must admit that Fusion's "Unity" is great (it even shows applications from Windows in my Dock!) but I didn't find any other features that made it worth the $80 I have to pay for it. Parallels, when using Windows 7, the Dock icon is not like a "Start" menu, at least not in 10.6. VirtualBox can't detect Boot Camp partitions, as far as I know, but I don't use Boot Camp. Anyway, which Virtualization product do you use for your Mac, and why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I primarily use VMWare, because VirtualBox had serious issues on one of my machines. Even reinstalling VB would not fix it.

I've had other situations where VB worked fine. It's free and ran quickly, although it lacked some of the controls that VMWare has. For all I know, the issues have been resolved, but I gave up on it first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I use VB, but I don't need it much. The only time I've tried it is when I wanted to play with Ubuntu, which wouldn't properly install.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I use VB, but I don't need it much. The only time I've tried it is when I wanted to play with Ubuntu, which wouldn't properly install.
Really? I've found Ubuntu to be the easiest OS to install in VB (except for maybe OpenSolaris). What issues were you having?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use VMware, mostly because I am so well acquainted with their products on other platforms and in a server environment. I had used Parallels when I first switched over to Mac and found its Linux support to be severely lacking. Although it's updated more frequently, VMWare tends to be faster and more stable for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.