want to buy an ibook

Reaction score
I am a devoted pc user but recently I have been checking out laptops and I was thinking of trying out a mac ibook or possibly even a mac powerbook.

I have seen the differences between the two but at the end of they day does the ibook really outperform the ibook by a longshot? I recall reading somewhere that the powerbook's performance wasn't all that much better than a comparable ibook. Also would it better to buy a 12" ibook or a 14" ibook? The price difference in canada I think is around 300 bucks difference and I think the only thing that you get is a bigger screen and a slightly faster processor. Perhaps a entry level 12" powerbook is a better option?

I am also concerned about file interchangability with my ipod as well as my pc files that are stored on a usb flash drive. In the end how compatible are mac files to pc and vice versa? I am trying to justify buying a mac but at the same time I don't want to dump $2000 on a laptop that is going to be a pain to work with.

Thanks

D

Desolate One

Welcome aboard!

iBook, Powerbook- really depends on your usage. Will you doing a lot of video/audio editing or processor intensive tasks? If no, iBook is all you need.

12"/14"- How portible do you want it to be? If it'll go everywhere with you I'd suggest the 12". If you're using it as a desktop replacement then go for the 14".

You'll be able to share files just fine. In fact I back up all my files to a PC! The irony of it all.

Reaction score
stevescivic said:
I am a devoted pc user but recently I have been checking out laptops and I was thinking of trying out a mac ibook or possibly even a mac powerbook.

I have seen the differences between the two but at the end of they day does the ibook really outperform the ibook by a longshot? I recall reading somewhere that the powerbook's performance wasn't all that much better than a comparable ibook. Also would it better to buy a 12" ibook or a 14" ibook? The price difference in canada I think is around 300 bucks difference and I think the only thing that you get is a bigger screen and a slightly faster processor. Perhaps a entry level 12" powerbook is a better option?

I am also concerned about file interchangability with my ipod as well as my pc files that are stored on a usb flash drive. In the end how compatible are mac files to pc and vice versa? I am trying to justify buying a mac but at the same time I don't want to dump $2000 on a laptop that is going to be a pain to work with.

Thanks

File compatability depends on what it is your trying to transfer. Generally if theres a Mac version of Windows software it's going to port. Graphix files will always port as well as most word formats. Unless you have some unusual software, you should be able to port your dox.
A 12 ibook 1.2Ghz with all the options I.E. airport extreme and Bluetooth is going to run you less than $1K. I have one month old for sale on ebay now you can get for less than $1K.
Powerbook vs ibook, well, your going to get 1.5ghz and you can get a superdrive built. You'll get a larger HD from the start but it's not hard and not that expensive to upgrade to 80gb. The powerbook supports digital displays as well as having higher end video built in.

ed724

I

iDVFH.

If your going to be using your laptop for just email, websurfing, photos etc. you don't need a Powerbook..the iBook does all that and more. but if your going to be using it for work and heavy usage get the Powerbook..people under estimate the size of a 12" screen..its not bad at all..such a space saver!

Apple says it all in the names they give it iBook, iMac (household family desktop and laptop) Powerbook, PowerMac (more for business people. who need a fastter more powerful computer)

IMO get a 12" Powerbook..i should have done that but thought it was too much..but if you can afford it get it man! :miner:

OP
S
Reaction score
I've taken a pretty good look at the ibooks

iDVFH. said:
If your going to be using your laptop for just email, websurfing, photos etc. you don't need a Powerbook..the iBook does all that and more. but if your going to be using it for work and heavy usage get the Powerbook..people under estimate the size of a 12" screen..its not bad at all..such a space saver!

Apple says it all in the names they give it iBook, iMac (household family desktop and laptop) Powerbook, PowerMac (more for business people. who need a fastter more powerful computer)

IMO get a 12" Powerbook..i should have done that but thought it was too much..but if you can afford it get it man! :miner:

I've went to the local mac dealer today and have found that although i love the powerbook's features and increased memory I have drawn the conclusion that I would be better off to buy a 14" ibook with superdrive than to buy a power book in a 12" size. My friend who is an avid mac lover says that they did a performance test on the 12" powerbook and said that it wasn't as good as they thought it would be and that the 15" and 17" units performed significantly better.

I figured that since I'm a student I can probably buy a base model ibook g4 for 1200 bucks cdn. I would like to have a superdrive but sadly that pushes me out over my budget.

i would like a 15" powerbook but that is double the money and in my eyes I can save that money and buy another base model ibook when it becomes obsolete.

Can I swap the combo drive for a superdrive later on?

Thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
holy crap

ed724 said:
20 minute swap out. Easy as pie.

ed724
Man alive that optical drive swap out is insane! Who ever though that there would be a million screws holding the entire thing together. Definitely too daunting to do on my own...

Can anyone here tell me why the power book and the ibook g4 laptop screens are so "unsharp"? The text and the pictures just don't look razor sharp as the laptops made by toshiba or compaq.

Also the trackpad on the ibook seems a bit shady as it the cursor has a tendency to fly all over the place at random whereas the powerbook doesn't seem to exhibit this particular problem. I've played around with 5 different ibooks and they all seem to do the same darned thing.

Thanks

D

Desolate One

Insane? I don't know if I would go that far. As soon as I get settled out West I'm upgrading the HDD and optical drive in this beauty. No need to panic, just takes some time.

As far as the screens being unsharp on the PB and iB, are you speaking from personal experince? I've never had a problem w/ my screen being "unsharp". Well only after a cold six and a few shots of Jamison. Other then that I couldn't be happier w/ my screen.

The only time I've had a problem w/ the trackpad is when I touch it in two spots at once. Sometimes I wont notice, but the butt of my palm may touch whilst attempting to move the cursor. Other then that it's a matter of skin moisture.

Also there have been reports of the new PB trackpads in the 12 and 15 inch model experiencing some problems- http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=948
No problems with the iBook as you described in my experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.