livebox internet connection

Reaction score
there is a wireless internet connection from a livebox in my flat but my imac fails to connect. i know the correct password but it tells me that the connection has timed out. my flatmate has an imac of his own and an ibook and both connect without any problems.
can anyone help me?? i've run out of ideas.
thank you,
richard

pez

Reaction score
I assume you mean an orange livebox. If so then the first thing to make sure you are trying that you haven't put on here is to put the box in pairing mode ie push and hold button 1 for a few seconds. Then try connecting your iMac as normal.

I recently also had the same timeout problem with my new iMac and my livebox and ended up ringing apple as all my other computers, ipods, iphone still worked on the network fine. The solution was to go into the router settings by typing 192.168.1.1 into the browser and changing the security to wep/wpa from wep only.

Hope this helps you.

OP
R
Reaction score
maybe i'm being a little slow.. i can't work out where to change the wep only password to wep/wpa. when i try to change it through network diagnostics it doesn't give me the option to do so.
it says,
wep password
wep 40/128-bit hex
wep 40/128-bit acsl II
also,
when i visited the 192.168.1.1 i need to enter a username and password, where can i find that?
it sounds like that i'm having the same problem that you had, hopefully i'll be able to sort this out soon.

thank you

OP
R
Reaction score
i have now changed the password security to wpa personal and entered in the the network name and password but it now says "connection failed" rather than "connection timeout" as it did before.
argh.

pez

Reaction score
In the browser address bar type in 192.168.1.1 again and when prompted the user name and password by default are both admin.

One you have done that you can access your router settings. On the left hand side there is an option for security. Go into that and then I think you select wireless. From there you can change it from wep only to wep/wpa.

Thats how we fixed my internet problems. If you purchased your mac in the last 90 days or have applecare give them a call and im sure that will sort it for you.

It drove me mad as well when i couldnt fix it.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.