Time Machine Drive Partition, Booting

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my new MacBook Pro to arrive, and also looking at external hard drives. Having never used a Mac properly before (nor ever properly backed up files) I'd like some advice as to the best way to go about doing this.

What I'm planning to do is buy a 1TB Seagate FreeAgent Desk for Mac, and partition that into two 500GB volumes - one for Time Machine, and one for things I haven't quite thought of yet.

I know you can't boot from a Time Machine backup, so what I was thinking of doing was copying an image of the Snow Leopard install disc onto the Time Machine partition before putting backup data on it, and then letting Time Machine do its thing in the remaining 480GB or whatever it is. Will this work?

(Also, I'm aware of the existence of SuperDuper! and CarbonCopyCloner, but a) don't really want to pay £20 for functionality I could get for free, and b) I dislike having two (or more) programs which do the same thing on my computer - it seems a dreadful waste of space to me. Of course, if the only way to get a bootable external volume is to use CCC, I will begrudgingly do so.)

Cheers.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order for your idea to work, you would have to install Snow Leopard to the external drive. Assuming you partitioned it as two partitions, install Snow Leopard to the first partition. Reserve the second partition for Time Machine backups. The drive of course has to be formatted to HFS+.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
superduper is free when it comes to cloning your HD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

SuperDuper is not free. A free trial exists which can be used but is limited in what it will do. Carbon Copy Cloner which is a similar product is donation ware.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,

and SuperDuper does cloning and bootable back ups - not the same thing.

OP
G
Reaction score
Like I said, if I'm going to get one of CCC and SuperDuper, I'd rather get CCC as it offers (or so I have been led to believe) all the functionality of SuperDuper, but for free.

Can I browse files in backups from CCC as one can with Time Machine backups?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said, if I'm going to get one of CCC and SuperDuper, I'd rather get CCC as it offers (or so I have been led to believe) all the functionality of SuperDuper, but for free.

Can I browse files in backups from CCC as one can with Time Machine backups?

Although Carbon Copy Cloner does exactly the same thing as SuperDuper (and is actually rated better than SuperDuper by MacWorld) it isn't "FreeWare". It's what's known as "donation ware". In other words, you send the author a donation of what you think it's worth.

And yes, you can browse individual files and folders from the clone backup that CCC makes. Browsing and extracting files from a CCC backup is easier than Time Machine. The difference being that CCC only keeps the latest file or folder you backed up whereas Time Machine keeps as many copies as it has room for.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.