External HD partitioning Q's

Reaction score
I got an external HD I will use for an intel Macbook and an older Powerbook G4. I'm running Leapord on the Macbook, and Tiger on the G4. I will use Time machine for the Macbook and Carbon Copy Cloner for the G4.

I know I can back up 2 computers on the one HD but do I have to format the partitions differently? How do I do it given the two different OS's?

Are there different settings to use in idisk to do this?
I'll do it all from my Macbook.

I'm a complete newbie at this so if someone could give me step by step on this issue that would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No need to partition differently, just Mac OS Extended (Journalled) will be fine for both.
Use Disk Utility to create the partitions, you can make them different sizes just by dragging the partition line up and down the window (it's obvious when you see it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Nope, you don't need two different partitions both Macs will be able to write to the drive just fine. You can always create two different partitions of the same type HFS+, but you really don't need it. Regardless of how you partition it, you won't have any restrictions about each machine writing to the disk.

As to the step by step setup Google for 'Time Machine setup instructions'. Note, you didn't list your OS specs but the setup is the same for Leopard vs Snow Leopard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I just edited the message to include the OS specs. (leapord and Tiger). Does that change anything?

I want it to be clear where my macbook files are and where my G4 files are. For this reason it seems like partitions would be good...?

P.S. I found a step by step too, but thanks.

OP
A
Reaction score
Are you sure about choosing the "Journalled" option. I read that it will then be used for start up then. My source said to just choose "Mac OS extended" (non-journalled) for a storage device.

Also, I'll be using Time Machine for the Macbook and Carbon Copy Cloner for the G4. Any issue w/this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Always choose the journal file system over the non journal one - regardless of whether it's for storage or boot. The reason is that a file system that use a journal format has a much better chance of being able to repair damaged files than one that is not.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It's really not tough at all to partition/format an external.
I did my first one just 28 days ago and it was amazingly easy.
Go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. Select your external HD, click on the Partition tab, choose two partitions from the drop-down (it might already be defaulted to two anyways) and either manually enter the sizes you want for storage for each or grab and drag the little "bar" between them to re-size.
Like it was mentioned, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for both. Just be sure you when you do your backups that you're selecting the correct "partition" for that machine. It helps if you label them something obvious.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.