Changed my hard drive, now my MBP sucks!

Reaction score
I have a new 13 MBP that i bought back in July. It's the "cheapest" one with the smallest HD and processor. But anyways, I transferred everything off my iMac to my macbook migration assistant and I only had a few GBs left. I time machined everything onto an external hard drive. I bought a 500gb seagate momentous hard drive, replaced it myself, and put my time machine stuff on the new HD.

Apparently I did something wrong-- multiple times a day I have to turn off my computer because it freezes. Some times it doesn't even start up, it stays on the white screen with the Apple (sometimes it has a circle with a line through it, like a no smoking sign).

Should I back it up again, erase my HD and start again? Start again from the previous time machine Or is there anything else I can do to fix the problem?

I loved my computer for a month, now I can do without it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a new 13 MBP that i bought back in July. It's the "cheapest" one with the smallest HD and processor. But anyways, I transferred everything off my iMac to my macbook migration assistant and I only had a few GBs left. I time machined everything onto an external hard drive. I bought a 500gb seagate momentous hard drive, replaced it myself, and put my time machine stuff on the new HD.

Apparently I did something wrong-- multiple times a day I have to turn off my computer because it freezes. Some times it doesn't even start up, it stays on the white screen with the Apple (sometimes it has a circle with a line through it, like a no smoking sign).

Should I back it up again, erase my HD and start again? Start again from the previous time machine Or is there anything else I can do to fix the problem?

I loved my computer for a month, now I can do without it.

Like you said maybe you did something wrong...although installing/removing a hard drive in a MacBook is pretty darn easy!

Are you sure this 2nd hard drive was fully compatible with a MacBook? What was the height of the drive?...was it 9.5mm or larger?

You could always put your old hard drive back in...back up or erase all of the unnecessary stuff off of it...then you would have some free space on it, and you would be back in business.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I know it was extremely simple! I know I didn't mess it up when i put it in, maybe when I configured it and installed osx?

It is 9.5mm and 2.5" SATA 5400rpm and all over the box it says "Internal hard drive for pc and mac"

OP
C
Reaction score
Backing it up, erasing and starting over wouldn't do any more harm would it?

Anything specific I need to do when installing osx or whatever when I turn it on?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Backing it up, erasing and starting over wouldn't do any more harm would it?

Anything specific I need to do when installing osx or whatever when I turn it on?

1st question: Of course not go for it. It will just take some extra time with the backing up & starting over.

2nd question: Not really...installing OS X is pretty much as straight forward as installing the hard drive was.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
2nd question: Not really...installing OS X is pretty much as straight forward as installing the hard drive was.

It's more straightforward, there are no screws! ;D

OP
C
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but how do I erase the hard drive? Am I starting from nothing and have to reinstall leopard? Should I wait until I buy snow leopard on wednesday?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.