How to completely uninstall deleted program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I posted this in the Networking forum and didn't get any responses. Hopefully someone here knows.

I have an Alltel Pantech UM175AL usb 3g modem that I can't get to work with my iMac. I had previously installed the QuickLink software included on the usb device but I "uninstalled" it by deleting the program a few months ago because I didn't want to use it anymore. Turns out we signed a year contract so it's going to be a waste if I can't get this thing to work. I plugged it in the other day and my iMac doesn't recognize that it's there.

I found the manual online and it says that one cannot manually reinstall program, to first uninstall through the program, reinsert the device, and the computer should recognize it as new and install the drivers/program automatically.

Well...problem is, I didn't delete it through the program. I just dragged the program to the trash. I also deleted the Cache files related to it. I figure there are some files that still need to be deleted for it to be completely uninstalled. My iMac doesn't even recognize that it is plugged in. Where else could files associated with this program be? I've tried spotlight but it doesn't bring up anything (probably because I don't know what to search for).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
So you deleted the plist files... hmm.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
yep. I'm thinking the driver is still installed somewhere maybe?? Where would that be? I've looked everywhere I could think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
If it's like the Sierra wireless USB modem here the software is installed once from the stick modem and then is no longer available. You uninstall with the stick attached so the software is put back on the stick. No matter what you do the software has Gone.
Been there done that :(

Have a look through you applications folder for an uninstall option. HD Library as well as your user library.

If you go to the Modem manufacturers site or your suppliers site you should be able to download the software.
Last resort: Annoy the help desk everyday until someone sends you the software,,

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Hmm I found another file in the HD library (I assumed that was the same as the user library!). Deleted it but still nothing.

As far as I can tell from the manual, the software is still on the modem but the computer doesn't recognize it as a new device because there is still something on my computer. This is getting frustrating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Well, if you haven't emptied the Trash, there's still hope.

Also, the /Library is not the same as ~/Library. (when ~ is your home folder)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.