Font Book Not Opening with Snow Leopard Upgrade?

Reaction score
I have a quick question. Does anybody have the problem of when opening font book, it says "You can't use this version of the application font book with this version of mac os x. You have font book 2.1."? Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Should be 2.2 with SL.

Don't know how to fix it without suggesting you try installing 10.6 again.
Could not find it available for download.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Mine opens fine. If you need a font manager use something else. Font book kind of sucks. IE. Linotype FontExplorer X, and Suitecase Fusion 2 just to name a few.

Reaction score
Since installing upgrade to 10.6.2 I have the same problem... Preview.app FontBook.app both dead with the same error... real pain in the backside... any ideas ??

Reaction score
Ok I have just fixed this problem... it took about 30 mins... its easy and I needed no Apple DVD's.

First step... Restart your Mac... hold down Shift ... till i say let it go... your mac will boot slowly into a BLUE screen... let go of shift... and it will go into SAFE BOOT... log into your normal profile.

Step Two
Run Disk Utils... Select your HD... and on the left "Repair Permissions"
Go get a coffee... it will take a while.

Once Completed...

Step Three
Select Repair Disk on the RHS... or if it is not lit up to be selected... Check Disk.

Get another Coffee... it will also take a while...

Reboot your Mac into Normal boot... test if Preview or Font Book work... for me they did not work... and I had to do the next step...

Step Four
Reboot into SAFE BOOT again... this time run the Preview App... and it will work in Safe Boot.

Now Reboot into normal boot... your Apps will now work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.