How to remove file icon stuck in frame of finder window

Reaction score
Hi,
I was moving some files about in finder, and I dropped a file into the top left frame of Finder. I did not even know that you could put a file here. The file , an mp3, still exists in it's original place, but it's icon is stuck in Finder's frame, and I cannot find a way to remove it. Clicking it with the mouse just opens it, and I cannot hold and drag it. I cannot find anything in Finder's preferences.
How can I remove this file?
Thanks,
Tristan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
right click on it and select Remove Item

Reaction score
stuck icon in finder sidebar

hey there
I have an icon stuck in my finder sidebar too, it's an .rtf file and I've deleted it, emptied the trash, relaunched Finder and restarted my computer. I can't even click on it, but I can drag it around in the sidebar. Right-clicking only offers sidebar preferences. I want it gone! Anyone?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I can't even click on it, but I can drag it around in the sidebar.

Pray tell, what does that mean?

I can't suggest the normal method, or an "enhanced" version, as those involve "clicking on it".

Reaction score
Pray tell, what does that mean?

hah well it meant I could click and drag it around within the sidebar, but not remove, open or do anything with it.
Anyway, a bit more reading and I learned to "command+drag" which I had not tried, and it vanished in a puff of smoke.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.