Internet Connection but no Router Connection

Reaction score
Sorry for this question - newbie to macs. I can connection to the internet no problem via Safari on my Powerbook. Everything works fine. However, if I try to connect to my wireless router by typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar Safari says it can't open the page or find the server - I cannot access my router. However, I download Opera on the Powerbook and it works OK re any internet page. But, unlike Safari, when I type 192.168.1.1 into the Opera address field it takes me straight into the router. Why will Safari not let me connect to 192.168.1.1 when Opera will - on the same Powerbook?

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Opera is a better browser.

Sorry, couldn't resist as a long time Opera fan.

Really don't know. Don't have any problem connecting to my D-Link router through Safari though.

Are you using OpenDNS on the router. Have had similar issues to this with my Win Home server. Had to get rid of OpenDNS because it would not allow any of my 4 computers connect to my server.

OP
Q
Reaction score
OK - mother-in-law has problem getting internet connection on her mac mini, wgr614 virgin wireless modem and virgin cable modem. I have had it working for her set up but unfortunately an ethernet cable came out and its all messed up. The problem I think is the allocation of ip addresses between the boxes. I'm trying to prove connection between the mac mini and the wireless router (SHE DOES USE WIRELESS - THERE IS A HARDWIRED CONNECTION) so I have disconnected the wireless router from the cable modem (this was suggested on a forum by somebody who got this working). The logic is to establish a connection between the mac mini and router. Network prefs shows a green light for the ethernet connection but Safari will not connect to the router. I tried this on my home set up which although different (Powerbook connected wirelessly to ADSL router) to prove that Safari can connect to the router. To my amazement, on my home set up, although my Powerbook has internet connection Safari will not connect to my router 192.168.1.1 - but loading Opera on my Powerbook I can connect via Opera. Why will Opera let me connect to the router but not Safari on the same machine? No wonder I'm have trouble at the mother-in-laws (80 miles away) with logical step one when it does not work on a working machine. Why will Safari not connect to the router?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.