Moving original folders in iPhoto

Reaction score
I just switched to Mac after years of using a PC. When I set up my Powerbook I simply transferred all my folders from the PC, including my photo folders, which I had arranged in a system I like that worked well for me.

When I started using iPhoto, it took all my pictures and grouped them into "Events" according to iPhoto's own liking, not minding how I had them arranged originally. This really ticked me off, but after scouring the internet I can't find any way of changing that system. But I have learned to work with it, so that's ok.

Here's my question: Now that iPhoto has done its thing with my pictures, how do I move pictures from some of the original file folders to new ones? For instance, I had about 50 pictures in a folder I called "Temporary" (that's where I would put them when they first came off my camera) and now I want to put them where they belong, in folders according to name (e.g., these are of Katie, these are of the Family reunion, etc.). If I just move them, then iPhoto can't see them any more.

To be honest, I hate this kind of do-it-all-for-you software. I'd rather just have a photo editor, not something that tries to arrange and categorize my pictures for me. I'm a big boy, I know where I want to put things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You should be able to just move the pictures from within the application itself. You can create new events and drag the pictures into them.

If you're really into manual control of directories but need a photo organizer, then I would suggest using a program like Picasa. If you don't need organizing software, then just get a photo editor like Photoshop or Pixelmator and continue using the directory structure whilst using Image Capture to import photos from your camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I found it hard to understand, but its great. It uses SQL so let it do the work!

NEVER go into the file structure and touch any of the files, this is not windows, iPhoto will not work if you do this.

First thing to do is drag the photo's into iPhoto. iPhoto will then create a new event with the date.

Create a new Event and name it something, l.e. [Holiday 2009]

Go into the Event that iPhoto grouped all your photos into, and select the ones you need. Right click and 'Cut'. Go into the new Event 'Holiday 2009' and right click 'Paste'.

Done!

You can do this with your whole iPhoto database to get it to look like how you like.

I have a great guide on how to export your photos into a folder that is named at the Event in iPhoto. All done automatically.

Check it out:-

YouTube - Guide: How To Export Photos From Apple iPhoto Whilst Keeping The Event Structure

I also have more guides in the link in my sig.

OP
Pillowtrot
Reaction score
I'd really rather have more control over my filing system. It works for me, and when I want to email a photo or zip a bunch together (like when we have a party) and share them with other people I like to know exactly where they are. iPhoto has taken all my pictures and sorted them into events by date, and that's really annoying.

So, yeah a simple photo editing program would be much better. I had Photoshop on my PC but discontinued using it because it did the same thing, it decided to organize my photos for me. I didn't intend to use iPhoto for the same reason, I just wanted to use it to edit photos but it grabbed them all and arranged them anyway.

Any suggestions for Mac-friendly software? A workaround for iPhoto?

OP
Pillowtrot
Reaction score
I found it hard to understand, but its great. <snip>

I have a great guide on how to export your photos into a folder that is named at the Event in iPhoto. All done automatically.

Check it out:-

YouTube - Guide: How To Export Photos From Apple iPhoto Whilst Keeping The Event Structure

Chris, thanks for the warm reply. I hated iTunes at first for the same reason (it decides how you want to arrange your music for you) but eventually learned to work with it and now rather enjoy its features. It's just going to be a bit of a pain to go back and reorganize thousands of photos I previously had in a system that worked well for me.

I'd love to see your video but unfortunately Youtube is still blocked in our country.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.