Microsoft Office 2008 Won't Install On Snow Leopard

Reaction score
So I installed Snow Leopard last night, and everything's been going smoothly; that is, until I needed to reinstall Microsoft Office 2008. I uninstalled it when it was buggy, as I figured it was a simple issue that could be fixed with a reinstall, but now it refuses to even install.

I can get through the installer, up until the point where it tells me to select the components to install, and then when I click "Install"- nothing happens. Here's a video of exactly what's happening, to better diagnose the problem. Anyone care to help me figure out what's going on?

OP
E
Reaction score
Okay, so now I have Office installed thanks to terminal commands, but whenever I open an application in Office '08, it gives me the dock's "Application Not Responding" message, and I can't use it. Help?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to install Rosetta in order to install Office 2008.

The installer requires it, but the Office app itself doesn't.

Put your SL disk back in the machine and open it up. Select the Optional Installs folder and then the Optional Installs.mpkg. Go through that and select Rosetta when you get there - these options show up after you agree to the license.

(edit: if you managed to force the install in terminal without Rosetta, you probably still do not have a good install of the app.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
Can you uninstall Rosetta after you use it like that?

OP
E
Reaction score
I'm trying to install Rosetta, but it does the same thing that Office does, namely greying out the Install button and not allowing me to install it, even though it's only a 1.5mb install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I had to install Rosetta when trying to use Windows Media Player. My system just downloaded and installed it for me. You have the Rosetta installer up and running.... maybe you forgot something way back in the process? I seem to remember that Installer can only install one thing at a time. It has to wait for one process to finish to start another one. Was your Office installer still running when you tried to install Rosetta?

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys, but I got it working by going into safe mode and adding another, new Admin account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hi,
I am having the same issue as the above poster. I installed Snow Leopard and am unable to open an MS Office Mac 2008 program. I reinstalled SL and selected Rosetta, but I still can't get the programs to load.

My next step is to reinstall Office Mac. I will keep you all posted.

-Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Still no luck... I am on hold with Microsoft now. This has become a total disaster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Update,

I got MS Word to function from the safe mode, but I can't get it to boot normally. I tired creating another user, no luck.

Its appears to be a font problem.

Next step is erasing the hard drive...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Update,

I got MS Word to function from the safe mode, but I can't get it to boot normally. I tired creating another user, no luck.

Its appears to be a font problem.

Next step is erasing the hard drive...

Before you erase the hard drive, try cleaning out all your startup items. They can be found in several places:

1. System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items. (remove all)

2. /Library/StartupItems/ (move any folders you find there to the desktop)

Reboot SL and open MS Office again.

As a note... My MS Office 2008 works OK in Snow Leopard but I noticed that it does take a bit longer to start because it scans the font folder. I guess it does this to see if the fonts are compatible.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I actually fixed it today.

I went to User/Library/Fonts and found a Microsoft folder that contained a ton of fonts. I moved the folder to the desktop and Office opened like magic. I added the fonts back a few at a time and realized it was .tff (or something) that was causing the problem. Microsoft's support team missed this.

Also, I found a file called Microsoft Office Font Cache (12), which I deleted. Doing both of these steps got the program running.

Not...easy...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.