trying to get this wireless...

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an ibook G3, now upgraded and running Tiger 10.4.11. I recently installed an Airport card (regular, not the Extreme). I can connect to the internet via Built-in Ethernet, but when I try to go 'wireless' it will list my Linksys router's name, but the password I have that works on my Mac Mini will not work on the ibook. So, I switched the cables, ethernet to ibook and the Mac Mini solely relying on Airport/Linksys and it works fine. The iBook acts like it 'sees' the network showing black bars in my airport activity, but when you launch a browser it can't 'see' anything.

Is it the Airport card? Or is there something else I should check?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What type of security are you using for the wireless? Your G3 airport card may be limited to only using WEP. If it is and you're router is setup to use WPA or WPA2, then the password problem you're having would be the result of the incompatibility.

As a test, reset the router and turn off all security. But first make sure you have an ethernet cable attached from your Mac Mini to the router. That's so you can maintain the connection to router and edit its menus. If you can connect with the G3 when all security is off, then you'll know that's the problem.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
I do not have the first clue how to 'talk' to the router to change security settings. Can I get to it from my System Prefs on the Mac Mini?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do not have the first clue how to 'talk' to the router to change security settings. Can I get to it from my System Prefs on the Mac Mini?

If you have your router owners manual...it should explain how to do what "chscag" is suggesting.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks! I downloaded the software for Mac for my Linksys router, changed the security and now everyone is working just fine. :) Happy Day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Did you change your code to WEP?

Make sure you have a code on it. :D

Reaction score
Thanks! I downloaded the software for Mac for my Linksys router, changed the security and now everyone is working just fine. :) Happy Day.

Good for you, just make sure you keep visiting us from time to time:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.