Hosting a server or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM20" iMac: 2.16 gHZ; 1GB RAM; 250 Gigz
Okay, I'm an idiot at this, but I hope someone here can help:
I've just taught myself how to design and create basic websites in Dreamweaver. My next venture is to create what they call dynamic web pages. Meaning, pages that allow input from users and can provide output as well, using Databases I guess.
Now, what do ya'll think is the best way to do this? I'd like to do it from within Dreamweaver, but the help files in that program aren't clear as to what I need to do this on a Mac. It has something to do with setting up a server on my computer... At this point I'm lost. Can anyone help me out, or at least point me the way?

V

vtupser

You will need to use a server side scripting code like PHP or ASP (PHP is what you should use if you use a Mac, ASP servers are only on Windows based machines). You already have Apache installed on your computer as your server, but will need to dl a program to help you access it. Go to http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/ and download PHP 5 for Mac OSX. Run the installer and everything sould be set. You will need to save your files in your "sites" folder on your Mac. To access these files in a web browser, you will need to turn file or web sharing on in your system preferences. Then you can access those files by typing in your browser nameofcomputer.local/~youruseraccountname/nameoffolder That simple. Of course you need to know PHP to make anything dynamic, but you can still use HTML and your server to view stuff.

K

Kokopelli

Dreamweaver is not my forte but assuming ytupser is correct in PHP being your best route I suggest using MAMP. http://www.mamp.info/en/home/

It will make the install and configuration of your development environment easier. I am not all that heavily into PHP on Mac but it seemed to install easily and cleanly for me.

OP
PBG4MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off, thanks so much for your help till now.
Second, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I forgot to mention that I have mySQL installed on my MAC... should this change things?

K

Kokopelli

It means straight PHP ( etnryopy.ch )would probably be simpler then. I had postgre but not MySQL. There is some configration that MAMP handles but it is not that big a deal and you would probably want to avoid ahving 2 copies installed.

Meph

V

vtupser

Yeah I would go with straight PHP install instead of MAMP. It wont write over or bother your MySQL install. You might want to also dl a copy of phpMyAdmin or a program of the like to manage your MySQL once the PHP server is installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I love phpMyAdmin, but in my experience it seems that most beginners want something even more guified, so try downloading a program called CocoaMySQL from http://www.macupdate.com

PHP is definitely the best web scripting language out there, and of course there will be people that disagree, but it definitely is the most widely used and it's user base continues increasing. Dreamweaver has a bit of support for PHP, so you should be good to go there.

OP
PBG4MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
I love phpMyAdmin, but in my experience it seems that most beginners want something even more guified, so try downloading a program called CocoaMySQL from http://www.macupdate.com

PHP is definitely the best web scripting language out there, and of course there will be people that disagree, but it definitely is the most widely used and it's user base continues increasing. Dreamweaver has a bit of support for PHP, so you should be good to go there.

Okay, now that I've got all these gadgets installed on my computer, I've realized that PHP is not just a technology but also a language! (like I said, I'm an idiot!) Anyway, so now I'd like to learn this language, just as I've learned HTTP and AppleScript. Can anyone suggest a good book for this? I've been looking around the web, but theres a lot out there. (If the book is directed at MAc users, even better.)Thanks!!

V

vtupser

I like the Visual Quickstart Guides. They give good simple code examples that are easy to understand. If you know basic programming syntax and techniques it should be relatively simple. I have an older PHP book that is really good that covers versions 3 and 4. I would suggest getting the PHP 5 and mySQL Visual Quickstart Guide because I have heard it is good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.