cant get clean install

Reaction score
I can't get my 10.6 disc to give me an option of a clean install . I did it from osx and saw no options, and all my files were still on computer. I then did it on boot and it looked like it was working but i still have all my files there. I'm coming from winblows and have always done clean installs with reinstall of all apps. How come i dont see that option. I'm expecting to end up with a fresh install with only osx 10.6 on it then i can either reinstall the apps or copy them from my backup drive.

Reaction score
Follow these steps.

1. Insert the Snow Leopard disk.
2. Select "Optional Installation".
3. You want the option for "Disk Utility".
4. Select that option and you should get a prompt to re-boot.

Once your mac re-boots and you select your language, select "Utilities" from the menu bar on the top of the screen. Select "Disk Utility".

Select the internal HD of your computer, most likely the one formatted as Macintosh HD. If you want a clean install, you'll want to zero out the HD. Select that via the "options" button, then erase. It will take a while, depending on your HD size and the clutter on it, so order a pizza or play Fallout for about an hour.

When you come back to your mac, it should be erased and formatted properly. Close that window and continue with the Snow Leopard installation. After you install, you'll have a "fresh from the start" install of 10.6.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi!
if you want to do a wipe and install - boot from the Snow Leopard DVD. On the first screen, in the lower left corner that has the utilities link, click there and then erase your OS partition; once done, exit the disk utilities then continue on with the install

** oops, heh, I had my edit window open for a while before clicking post on the reply - in the mean time Squeabs posted - lol oh well :D

OP
L
Reaction score
i just remembered the disk util and formated the mac drive. and it is reinstalling now. Will it recognize my time capsule and contiue using it or will it need to create a new sparse image. I guess it doesn't matter i have everything backed up on the winblows machine.

Reaction score
Another question about 10.6 clean install: Can I erase only the Mac HD partition and do a clean install of SL and leave my Boot Camp partition and XP install in tact?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if that will work because a clean install of SL will remove the current partition information including the EFI part. You can give it a try; just be sure to only erase the Leopard partition. If after installing SL, you can't boot to Windows XP, you'll have to reinstall and do everything from start again including Windows.

Instead of taking a chance, use WinClone to make a backup of your Windows XP partition first. Then you can erase the entire disk, install SL and use the new Boot Camp 3.0 to create a partition for XP. After the new partition is created, restore XP from the WinClone backup.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What is it with everybody wanting to do "Clean Installs" of 10.6? This isn't Windows folks, there's no need....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is it with everybody wanting to do "Clean Installs" of 10.6? This isn't Windows folks, there's no need....

Archive & Install works great and Snow Leopard defaults to A&E. No more plain upgrade.

Erase and Install is only really necessary if the hard drive dies as then there is nothing left to Archive! :D

Reaction score
> what is it ...?

Well, probably archive and install is what I'm looking for.
Assuming it's the default, which makes sense, has anyone reported their Mac becoming very slow to do much of anything after installing 10.6?

I searched for 'clean install' because

-- (having used Macs since the 512k 'Fat Mac') I knew the term.
-- since I put 10.6 on my Intel Mini, it takes five or six seconds of blank window and a few seconds of spinning pizza before almost anything happens.
-- I heard it was a faster OS and figured, well, maybe there's a way.

But I'm poking around first in case I've missed something that should be obvious that would make it so much slooooower for me than 10.5.

All the software updates are done, nothing apparently wrong.

Oh, wait, I googled:

Web
Hide optionsShow options...

Results ... about 64,300 for macintosh OS 10.6 intel slow

Dang. More research needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.