Cheap Snow Leopard on Craig's List

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thought some folks would find this interesting...

On my local Craig's List, someone is already selling an opened original copy of Snow Leopard for $20 bucks. Here's the exact wording:

"Brand new Snow Leopard update for Mac. The package has been opened, but it has never used. $ 29.00 in store. Will sell for $20.

I'm of course a little doubtful by the "opened but never used" part. I would say there is a very high chance it has been installed on at least 1 computer (but I could be wrong).

If I hadn't already purchsed my copy...I would consider it...or if I needed an additional single user license.

Enjoy,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4 Ram, 320 GB
Bought the family pack, shared it with 5 friends = $10 a piece. Doesn't get any cheaper than that unless you got a free upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
^Probably against the EULA, isn't it?

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^Probably against the EULA, isn't it?

I was wondering that as well. So I looked it up...here's an excerpt:

B. Family Pack License. If you have purchased a Family Pack license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non- exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-branded computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. The Family Pack License does not extend to business or commercial users.

Link to the full document:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf

The definition of "family" does not seem to extend to the situation described above...but then I guess we would need more detail to be certain.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be within the same household.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It took some digging and searching but I finally found this:
Apple said:
The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users

So yes, what you did is against the EULA.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It took some digging and searching but I finally found this:

So yes, what you did is against the EULA.

Hey come on man...I posted that 8 minutes ago!!!;D Lol!

- nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be within the same household.

I'm leaving open the possibility that all 5 friends live under the same roof...roommates as it were!

Small snippet from the Family Pack section of the Apple EULA:

used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium,

So 5 friends living under the same roof would seem to be ok under the "family pack" EULA.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So 5 friends living under the same roof would seem to be ok under the "family pack" EULA.:)- Nick

A real nice loophole for Fraternities and Sororities. :) But then I guess they're all brothers and sisters! :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A real nice loophole for Fraternities and Sororities. :) But then I guess they're all brothers and sisters! :)

Regards.

Until some poor devil has an OS bug or failure, and you can bet they will not be the one with the install DVD for troubleshooting. Go out and buy your own guys and gals as the install DVD is the best troubleshooter about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As long as the friends are living under a single roof, then yes, they are not in violation of the EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
And god forbid they break the EULA. Apple police will come break down your door and throw you in iCuffs.

:p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.