Does mounting a disk image from a external drive take up disk space on the local one?

Reaction score
I have an disk image that is very large, but i only have like 3GB free space on my macbook pro.

The disk image is located on an external hard drive.

My question is, if i mount the disk image... does it still use the external drive... or does it use up local disk space on my macbook to mount it?

Thank you in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
For the love of god, clean off your hard drive. You should have at least 15GB free even if it's only an 80GB drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
lol i know. I'm saving money for another external :). The majority of my disk space is being taken by windows in vmware. Although i have the disk space set to it's minimal.

I work alot with flash and web design as well, so yea lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
No, mounting an external image does not consume space on your local drive...but yeah...you might want to do some housekeeping :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.