KVM Advice needed with PC and Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
I currently have a Compaq laptop with an external PS/2 keyboard and USB wireless mouse plugged into a VGA Acer monitor. But I am about to buy a Macbook with a glossy screen I don’t like so I would like to use a KVM switch if possible to have both computers switchable on the Acer monitor. I will probably keep the existing mouse but switch to a Mac USB keyboard if that will also work with the PC. I know nothing about KVM switches or setting up such a system and would appreciate any advice I can get about buying the right switch etc and suggestions about the best product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
I use this one:

Amazon.com: IOGEAR 4 Port DVI KVMP Switch with Audio and Cables (GCS1764): Electronics

It's decent and does the job. You can probably search around and find comparisons, reviews etc about other products. I have a Mac mini, Mac Pro and Windows machine all connected to the KVM and it functions just fine.

One thing about a KVM, most advertise 'hot key's', certain key combinations that allow you to switch the video source on the fly without having to click the button on the KVM device. I have never gotten this functionality to work correctly. Not a deal breaker for me, but for some it might be.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Check the Mac-Forums Blog, I reviewed an excellent IOGEAR unit not too long ago there.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks for the feedback. Wmprice1240's suggestion is a bit out of my price bracket I'm afraid but thanks for the suggestion. I liked the look of cwa107's review but - just to show how little I know - there are four wires going to each computer, VGA, USB and I don't know what the other two are. Is it a split wire with a choice of connection for each computer? Apparently a Mac keyboard requires a fair bit of power. If the switch is not powered can it cope with a mac keyboard okay?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
On the unit I reviewed, there's one cable to each computer. At the end of the cable are 3 connectors, one for audio, one for VGA and one for USB (keyboard and mouse).

I have not seen any issues with any keyboard I've used it with, including those that have USB hubs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.