Does Replacing HD void warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, 2.26ghz, 2GB RAM; 17" IMAC G5, 160 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, built in iSight,
Hey All,

I just bought a brand new 13" MBP a couple weeks ago. I bought the lower end model with the 160 GB hard drive. I am already finding that I am running out of space fast and found some simple instructions online on how to replace the hard drive. Having worked on Dell laptops for years as a desktop support tech I am comfortable doing the swap out. My question is, would this void my Apple warranty? If so I might think about waiting for a while before doing the swap out to make sure none of my components fail within the first few months which is suppose to be the most likely time of a failure. Thanks in advance for the input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hard drive swap and memory upgrades are "do it yourself" and do not void the warranty on your new MBP. However, if you mess things up during the swap, the cost of repair is on you.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
you should think about using a external drive to back things if you dont want to open it up, plus the cost for a 1tb external 3.5 drive is half the cost of a 2.5 drive. whatever works for you, go for it..

OP
VTX1800
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, 2.26ghz, 2GB RAM; 17" IMAC G5, 160 GB HD, 2.5 GB RAM, built in iSight,
Thanks for the responses. I'm happy to hear that it will not void my warranty. I do have a large external drive but I like to have everything when i'm on the go and an external drive is a pain. I think I'll throw a 500 gb internal drive in there. I think that will last me a while. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Yea I actually just did the swap from the wimpy 160 gb hard drive and went with a seagate momentus 500gb 7200rpm hard drive. And everything went smoothly as long as you follow the guide from chrismac.

How to clone your hard drive.
YouTube - Guide: How To Clone Hard Drive : For Apple MacBook / MacBook Pro Hard Drive Upgrade Using SuperDuper

How to install/upgrade hard drive and memory.
YouTube - Guide: How To Swap / Upgrade Hard Drive / HDD and RAM / Memory In A 2009 Apple MacBook Pro 13"

Those are what I used and it is really easy to do. Just make sure that you have all the right tools. I didn't have a t6 torx screwdriver so that was my only hiccup other than that it is really easy and simple to do. and makes a big difference. I love having 500gb 7200rpm hard drive. Now I just need 4gb of memory and ill be set.

OP
VTX1800
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I actually just did the swap from the wimpy 160 gb hard drive and went with a seagate momentus 500gb 7200rpm hard drive. And everything went smoothly as long as you follow the guide from chrismac.

How to clone your hard drive.
YouTube - Guide: How To Clone Hard Drive : For Apple MacBook / MacBook Pro Hard Drive Upgrade Using SuperDuper

How to install/upgrade hard drive and memory.
YouTube - Guide: How To Swap / Upgrade Hard Drive / HDD and RAM / Memory In A 2009 Apple MacBook Pro 13"

Those are what I used and it is really easy to do. Just make sure that you have all the right tools. I didn't have a t6 torx screwdriver so that was my only hiccup other than that it is really easy and simple to do. and makes a big difference. I love having 500gb 7200rpm hard drive. Now I just need 4gb of memory and ill be set.

That's great do you think your 7200 drive is louder than the old 5400 drive? I'm thinking of going the 7200 route as well but I worry about the noise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
In my opinion the 7200rpm drive is no louder than the stock 5400rpm. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
True that. I have noticed no difference in being loud at all. Its quiet as a mouse IMHO. Great upgrade. But I am only speaking on behalf of the 7200rpm seagate momentus as thats what I have installed. Don't know about the others.....

OP
VTX1800
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect, thanks guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.