• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

3ivx alternative?

Reaction score
Hi,

Using Leopard on a mac mini

I used the mass storage option on my Sony Ericsson (because the file transfer option isn't compatible with mac) to get videos of my kid onto my Mac Mini, but they came out with "3ivx trial expired" written all over them.

I went to the 3ivx site and sort of gleaned that 3ivx is some sort of decoding software to turn mp4 files into files you can actually watch because quicktme is rubbish. (Am I correct?)

I went to the 3ivx site and the Shop page doesn't work!

It really annoys me that I buy a mac for it's video editing properties and find hidden costs and problems so it can't even do that. AAARRGG! I don't even know how much this 3ivx costs. What the heck are macs even good at, because it isn't video?

Can anyone help me out, all these weird file types and "compatible with this and that" confuses the heck out of me. I just wanna take videos and play them on my mac, they play on the phone without 3ivx.

Please help before I smash some electronics.

Thanks,
Ewan, slowly going off macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.