Accessing local machines while connected to a VPN?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, hoping I can get some help here, here’s my situation. In my small office, I have a PowerMac G5 server running Leopard. It provides print server, file sharing, VPN, etc to all my users locally and remotely. My problem is that I also work for a large company, and I need to VPN in daily from my PC laptop. When I do that, as expected, it takes my computer off my local network, and assigns me an IP for my company. Meaning, I can’t ping other machines on my network, or access my server.

The problem is I really need to access the server to print, and more importantly to share files with other users. The server is located right beside me. Is there anything I can do to access the VPN at my company, but also access my server locally? Even if I have to plug in somehow to the server directly that would be fine. I just can’t think of any other options. Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP (4,1) 2.5 GHz 4 GB 300GB OS X 10.5.6
The Cisco VPN client has a configuration option that lets you enable or disable local LAN access while the VPN is connected.

Perhaps your VPN client has the same option?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.