Taking my iMac from Canada to Germany

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm moving to Germany from Canada and will take my 20'' iMac with me.
There are a couple things that worry me.

1.) Will there be any power issues? Is it a matter of replacing my North American power cable with a European cable?
2.) Will any warranties I have here in North America be covered in Europe or will they become void?
3.) Are there any regional issues I might have being that the specific Mac I have was built/registered in Canada?

Also, does anyone have any moving tips? I have kept the box my Mac came in so I figure I would package it up in that box. Will it be safe on a flight or going through airport security/x-ray? Would one consider shipping it via Fed-Ex, DHL etc...

Any help is appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey all,
I'm moving to Germany from Canada and will take my 20'' iMac with me.
There are a couple things that worry me.

Also, does anyone have any moving tips? I have kept the box my Mac came in so I figure I would package it up in that box. Will it be safe on a flight or going through airport security/x-ray? Would one consider shipping it via Fed-Ex, DHL etc...

Any help is appreciated!

Personally the thought of moving a desktop computer internationally is pretty scary! Then add to that the package/luggage handling by the airlines...and I'm thinking "nightmare scary"!

I think that your idea of using DHL or Fed Ex to deliver your package is much better. They're just better at delivering this sort of package vs. the airlines. It may be a bit expensive...but I think there's a much better chance of your computer "arriving alive"!;D

Plus you won't have to "lug" that desktop computer to & from the airport!

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You just need to buy a cable with a plug for germany (you can pick one up in Germany) or an adaptor, the iMacs power supply is auto switchable (Line voltage: 100-240V AC)

Amazon.com: SIMRAN PLUG ADAPTER - CONVERTS GROUNDED USA PLUGS TO EUROPE PLUG-GERMAN SHUCKO PLUG (VP 11W): Home Improvement

Warranty will be honored by any Apple authorised Dealer (including Apple stores)
"If you seek
service in a country that is not the country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable export laws
and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges.
For international service, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable
products and parts that comply with local standards."

Viel Glück!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can choose to "lug" your iMac with you to Germany, however, it would depend on how much hand carry luggage you already have and what's allowed on board.

Most airlines now have started charging for extra or heavy hand carry luggage. As far as airport security is concerned, they will of course want to inspect any computer you carry on board.

I've done extensive traveling outside of the US and have even moved my entire household several times and I can tell you that it's safe to ship a delicate item as long as it's properly packed. Check with FedEX and DHL to first find out how much they will charge to ship it for you. I'm willing to bet it's not going to be inexpensive.

And then you will have the ordeal of customs and duty in Germany - unless of course you're exempt. I was exempt because I worked for the US Government at the time but it was still a pain.

My advice: Sell the iMac and buy a nice new 13" MBP which you can easily carry with you anywhere. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.