Snow Leopard crashed my Mac Book Pro

Reaction score
Yesterday I purchased a copy of Snow Leopard and installed it on my one year old 15in Mac Book Pro. The program loaded quickly and restarted my computer just as it does after a software update. When the computer came back on it sat on a grey apple load screen for a good forty five minutes. I called APPLE SUPPORT and they ran me through a few basic steps, such as restarting holding POWER BUTTON + C, D, and SHIFT. None of these worked!!!! We even tried the for-mentioned steps with the original START UP disks and nothing happened, wouldn't even let me go into safe mode They told me to go into the store and have a Genius look at it and see if they cant do anything for me.

My warranty on my computer is 20 days out of date. I have never had any trouble with my MAC or any of the MAC's I have owned in the past. Does anyone know if they will replace my computer if they can not fix it? The software has completely destroyed it!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Software does not destroy hardware (well, except maybe for a bad firmware update).

2. Take it in to the store and let them check it out.

3. And we do hope you made a backup prior to installing the upgrade?

OP
L
Reaction score
I always keeped everything backed up, thank god!

well, it may not be destroyed but i know it is a bad sign when the original OS disk wont even Boot....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After you visit the Apple Store, please post how things went. And if a solution was found, what it was...I'm curious.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
will do. i am really interested as well at what could have caused this. as i said before, i have never had a single issue. i am a bit nervous that if they can not fix it that they will not replace it and i will be without a computer...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
will do. i am really interested as well at what could have caused this.

I'm sure you're interest level is MUCH greater...since it's you're computer!;D

Good luck,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, I'd be a little anxious also.

Reaction score
MacBook Pro Has White Screen From Snow Leopard

This happened to me last night as well. Loaded up Snow Leopard to a 6 week old 13" MacBook Pro and after it restarted after loading, it's a gray/white screen with the apple and circle spinning. I wasn't sure if the store would look at it without an appointment, but will head bring it in.

Unfortunately for me I didn't back up my writing and I'm pitching a book outline this week...huge lessons learned for my new toy.

Thanks for posting the earlier issue and I'll update if I fix this.

OP
L
Reaction score
yeap. that is the same error! post what they say as well.

i took mine in last night and they couldn't get me in until today.

sorry to hear you lost your stuff. i learned the hard way as well years ago. it's very disheartening.

Reaction score
I'm able to reinstall now

I just got off the phone with apple. They walked me through a reboot twice - on the second time when I powered back up and held down the c key, after 5 minutes, it is reinstalling. Perhaps it will work for you. It will take 50+ minutes for the install so I'll post again if it works. If it doesn't work I can't get it to work my store appt isn't until tomorrow.

Reaction score
I had same problem . I started a new thread on how I solved the problem . Hope it works for you.

Reaction score
Computer is Back!

Snow Leopard is now successfully loaded and I'm up and running again. Only a few things are changed - bookmarks, date and time needed resetting. A bit fearful to load it on my desktop mac so will do some back up now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Merlin's thread is here.

Reaction score
Snow Leopard has made Final Cut freeze on me constantly!!! Please help

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard. I have the second to last model which is a MacBookPro 4.1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.6 GHz, 4GB of memory and I edit fairly often on this computer. I was handling RED footage, HDV, and SD without a problem on Final Cut Pro 6 on regular Leopard, then suddenly when I upgraded to Snow Leopard my Final Cut will at random, sometimes right away, sometimes ten minutes or three hours later lock up and give me the beach ball of death. My Finder shuts down too and programs won't open properly, my external barely comes up and then I have to hold the power button down to restart the computer. Most times it works, but only for as long as it chooses, then it's back to the beach ball of death. Anyone know if it's because I have to have Final Cut 7 or if Snow Leopard needed a clean install? Or if I should just wipe clean and go back to regular Leopard. I'm hoping I can finally fix this and get back to editing at a normal rate. Thanks so much!! Any help or suggestions will save my sanity...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.