Internet problem after installing snow leopard.

Reaction score
Hi I just purchased and installed Snow leopard on my new mac book and the internet doesn't work now. Any one know whats going one? Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you using Wireless or Wired?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Have you tried fixing it using Network in System Preferences? Have you turned off, and then on, your Airport connection?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, I have tried using system preferences. It says Airport is on but not connected to a network. When I try to connect to the network I normally would use I get a error sign reading " Error trying to connect to "netgear" please try again later"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If I was to try and fix this problem at home, I'd start by restarting my Mac and turning off & on the router to reset it. If that didn't work, I'd turn off Airport and remove the entry via the Network System preferences and reboot. Then try joining again.

You have a difficult problem to solve which sounds like it will take some hacking around to solve. Hopefully this isn't an incompatibility with Leopard and your router.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I use AirPort. In my network status, in system preferences, I have a green light for AirPort, Airport Settings, Network Settings, ISP. I have a red/yellow light, for Internet and Server. I have tried restarting, etc. I can access my wireless on all other computers except the one that was updated.

T

tbcal

I have a smiliar problem I have two macbook pros one it about a year older the new one I bought in the past year, and the internet works fine on the old one but not on the new one? both upgraded yesterday ?

OP
M
Reaction score
Finally! Thanks to everyones help I was able to fix my problem. For anyone else with similar problems check to see if you are using a router of some sort. I simply restarted my mac and router and was on my way. Its all smiles and sunshine from here on out. Thanks again for everyones help.

P.s. its always such a simple solution haha

Reaction score
Wireless stopped working

Just upgraded my wife's mac book white 2.0ghz to Snow Leopard and now neither mail or safari will connect to the internet. Crazy thing is Airport reports it is connected to our network although network diagnostics says it isn't. Can connect to NAS drive on the internet network. My MacBook Pro on Leopard work fine. Tried restarting cable modem, Belkin Router, and Mac Book with no sucess!

Any other ideas anyone??

Reaction score
Manually add DNS

Hey everyone! I struggled with a similar problem for about two hours after upgrading to Snow Leopard, but I finally figured out (what seems to be) a solution:

1. Go into your router's administration page and find your DNS server(s).
2. Open up Network Preferences in your System Preferences window.
3. In the Advanced section, click on the DNS tab.
4. Manually add the DNS servers you looked up in Step 1.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I struggled with a similar problem for about two hours after upgrading to Snow Leopard, but I finally figured out (what seems to be) a solution:

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I was going crazy trying to figure out how to connect to the internet after installing Snow Leopard and that worked. I was especially frustrated because my Network Preferences said I was connected to my wireless, but neither Firefox nor Safari nor any other app that requires internet would load. Thanks again!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where is the router's administration page found?

Sheesh, look at your manual. It depends on your router and you'll have to log into it to make changes.

Reaction score
Oh sorry, I can't get on LSU's network since I installed snow leopard. The internet works fine at home.

Reaction score
Brilliant!

Hope this helps!

Well done! Thanks for the help. This was exactly what we needed. This worked, and I learned something.

Reaction score
hi docmcconl..
i try u r way in my macbook pro "snow leopard" but it doesn't work with me.
my problem only when i download some file from net its very slow
plz help me i got crazy already ):
thank u

Reaction score
If you experience slow throughput on your wireless it could be the same problem I recently discovered and isolated. I use a D-Link 655. It supports wireless b/g/n so I was using mixed mode to allow my Macbook and an iMac to connect at n speed while allowing a wireless Brother printer to use g. All was well with the exception of my Macbook. I'm running the latest OS X 10.6.2. The iMac runs 10.5.8. I performed a speed test, the iMac was getting 15 MB/sec, the Macbook 3 MB/sec. I systematically turned on/off settings including encryption and channel scanning in the router configuration to determine the root cause. My Macbook could not handle the mixed mode setting. I had to disable mixed mode and set the router to wireless g. With that one change speed on the macbook went from 3 MB/sec to 16 MB/sec. The iMac was fine with mixed mode so it's a problem with the Macbook only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB
I was having very similar problems for both a wired connection to my Netgear router and a wi-fi connection to it. I was stumped for days. Power cycling did nothing. Messing with router settings did nothing. Assigning a manual IP address to my computer did nothing. The weird thing was that all Macs on my LAN were affected if both the Macbooks in my house were open (two Macbooks and two iPhones). The connection would work for a few minutes and then drop. However, my Xbox Live connection was flawless.

I noticed something in my Finder that was bothering me for a while. Under Bonjour computers there were three -- two for my wife's Macbook and one for my own. Given that the Internet would work if one Macbook was closed, I wondered if there wasn't some IP address conflict. I turned off Windows sharing on both computers (I don't have cable and access all my content through a media center on my TV) and it worked. Then I tried turning on sharing on just one computer and it worked. Boom. Look at your Bonjour computers and make sure you don't have more there then you should. Even if you don't, just try turning Windows sharing off if it is on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.