My DVD burner won't burn dual layer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
I have:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J:

Firmware Revision: FCQ5
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

However it was not until about 4 months after the warranty expired that I needed/wanted to burn a double layer DVD.

I did some research about this drive and found some sites posting online that this drive had some known issues of not being able to burn double layer DVD's. Sure would be nice if computer makers did recall notices, sort of like how auto makers do. Of course those are only for critical issues. Yeah If I'd have gotten the extended warranty that would have helped too.

However, when I called Apple they of course said they could not help me out.

How could I remedy this problem? Could I replace the drive myself?

I'm not familiar with burning dual layer. That would have been my first need to do so. Maybe I'm missing something or it is a software problem for all I know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You don't tell us what Mac model you have

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.9f4
running OS X 10.4.11

printerface, I only have one burner mentioned above.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just using the disc utility. I don't have any special application. Should I?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump.

Just to see if anyone has ideas to get me going. Do I need a special software? How can I test it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Make sure your media is DVD+R DL and not DVD-R DL (note the distinction between +/-)

Reaction score
I have exactly the same issue, similar machine, same drive:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.9f4

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J:

Firmware Revision: FCQ5
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

It will not write Dual Layer media, and, yes, I made sure it was +R DL, not -R DL.

The error I get from Disk Utility, after it goes through preliminary motions, says "failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media." It is extremely frustrating, and I can't understand why Apple promotes--and sells at significant cost--features such as this that it then doesn't deliver on.

I'm past my warranty so no doubt am SOL.

Denriddy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The error I get from Disk Utility, after it goes through preliminary motions, says "failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media." It is extremely frustrating, and I can't understand why Apple promotes--and sells at significant cost--features such as this that it then doesn't deliver on.

Lots of folks are happily burning 2X media using the same drive so let's not put the blame on Apple... :(

Try cleaning the drive first with an optical drive cleaning kit. Kits are sold at most stores which sell computer accessories. Burning 2X media requires a greater power level than burning a single layer DVD or CD which is why this is usually the first thing to fail. And it shouldn't matter if the media is -R or +R as the drive is capable of burning both.

If cleaning doesn't work, the drive may need to be replaced. Or it's possible it will continue to function to read disks and write to single layer media.

Regards.

Reaction score
Lots of folks are happily burning 2X media using the same drive so let's not put the blame on Apple... :(

Unfortunately a significant number of Mac people are unhappily experiencing the exact same phenomenon that I've been plagued with, as a Google search on the phrase "failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media" will quickly reveal.

I will try the drive cleaning kit as soon as I can get hold of one. In the many other threads on this problem that I've waded through since posting, such cleaning kits generally seem to be not recommended, whereas some percentage of people have had success using cans of compressed air to blow dust out of the drive. Others have tried all suggestions with no joy.

"Blame" not withstanding, of course I hold Apple accountable for selling me a device that does not work as advertised. They have my money; I don't have the functionality I paid extra for. It's just. that. simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've never had a bit of luck burning dual layer DVD's on any of my MB's, MBP's, MBA's or Mini's using the supplied DVD hardware. There is always some error coming up, regardless of the software used or OS level 10.4 ~ 10.6. Frustratingly, there are different errors seemingly every time. Media type, manufacturer, etc seems to present no resolution in my case. I gave up trying. Best of luck if it works for you and please post how you accomplished it.
-Dave

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately a significant number of Mac people are unhappily experiencing the exact same phenomenon that I've been plagued with, as a Google search on the phrase "failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media" will quickly reveal.

I will try the drive cleaning kit as soon as I can get hold of one. In the many other threads on this problem that I've waded through since posting, such cleaning kits generally seem to be not recommended, whereas some percentage of people have had success using cans of compressed air to blow dust out of the drive. Others have tried all suggestions with no joy.

"Blame" not withstanding, of course I hold Apple accountable for selling me a device that does not work as advertised. They have my money; I don't have the functionality I paid extra for. It's just. that. simple.

I don't think it's anything to do with the cleanliness of the drive. I believe this to be strictly related to a software issue.

I've had the same thing trying to burn a DL ISO to a disc with Disk Utility, only to flip over to Toast and have it work perfectly. Or, sometimes if I cold boot the machine, it works in Disk Utility as well.

Reaction score
I don't think it's anything to do with the cleanliness of the drive. I believe this to be strictly related to a software issue.

Given the spotty (no pun intended) results others report from various cleaning efforts, you may be right.

...sometimes if I cold boot the machine, it works in Disk Utility as well.

Another recurring theme seems to be heat causing problems. Might that account for your cold boot successes? Some Mac Book owners have reported success by wedging paper or something that moves the drives slightly away from main source of heat, but I don't see any way to accomplish that on the iMac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another recurring theme seems to be heat causing problems. Might that account for your cold boot successes? Some Mac Book owners have reported success by wedging paper or something that moves the drives slightly away from main source of heat, but I don't see any way to accomplish that on the iMac.

When I say "cold boot", I'm referring to shutting the machine down (powering off) and then turning back on. Not necessarily giving it enough time to cool down, just booting it without a warm restart.

Since the Superdrive on my Macbook Pro is mounted at the bottom-right corner of the machine, far away from any source of heat, I don't think it's heat related. My theory is that the driver just isn't right in some way. If the mechanism is reporting back an error with the write laser, my guess is that it just hasn't been properly initialized before the write operation starts.

Reaction score
When I say "cold boot", I'm referring to shutting the machine down (powering off) and then turning back on. Not necessarily giving it enough time to cool down, just booting it without a warm restart.

:D Thanks, but, yeah, I know what "cold boot" means; I just didn't know how "cold" your boots might have been that led to intermittent success.

Since the Superdrive on my Macbook Pro is mounted at the bottom-right corner of the machine, far away from any source of heat, I don't think it's heat related. My theory is that the driver just isn't right in some way. If the mechanism is reporting back an error with the write laser, my guess is that it just hasn't been properly initialized before the write operation starts.

From my limited means to know, what you say seems to make sense.

In any case, I have no trouble whatsoever burning regular DVDs and CDs. Attempts at burning DL DVDs, though, have been a complete washout.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my 24" Imac. It really sucks too because just like the OP, I never tried buring a DL disc until a few days ago, and my warranty happened to run out in August.

This is my burner:
OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A:

Firmware Revision: 1AHN
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

All DVD's burn fine except for dual layer discs. I've tried the international voodoo trick and blowing into the drive etc....

When I searched online there are tons of people with this same problem and it kind of makes me angry that they keep using these drives and selling people a product that doesn't have the functionality they promise.

Everytime I see one of those dang commercials about how perfect and flawless Macs are, I just want to throw my Imac out the freaking window. I paid $2200 to switch to a Mac and so far, I can't play games through Parallels even though they claim 3d graphics support(I can count on one hand the number of "good" games published for the Mac), bootcamp won't run windows and now I can't even burn dvd's. I have image files that cannot be split into 2 single layer discs....

Has anybody worked out a fix for this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are the discs DVD+DL discs? (Note the + sign, as distinct from DVD-R DL discs).

Also, Parallels and VMWare simply don't have robust 3D support - and in my opinion, they should not advertise as having even the slightest capability for playing modern 3D games. If you want to play games, you need to do it in Boot Camp, but that's another topic for a different thread.

Reaction score
Yes the discs are +RDL, but it shouldn't matter because the computer supposedly can handle both types.

I also have cleaned it with an airduster and a lens cleaner disc.

I've tried burning from a burn folder, disk utility, and Toast Titanium.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.