Can't access internet with WEP password

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my MacBook Pro to accept a WEP password for internet access, but it's not letting me.

I have two computers. The first computer is a PC and the internet is working fine on it. I wanted to access the same line with my MacBook Pro using AirPort. It's detected the line. In fact, my neighbors' lines are detected as well. When I select them, I'm instantly asked to provide a password. When I access my own, I have to wait till it times out and THEN asks for a password. Everyone else has WPA and mine is WEP, so my guess is the problem is with WEP. I'm using the straight-up WEP password option. Not the Hex or ASCII (neither of which allows the password I'm using on my PC).

I tried putting in the PC password but it times out every time on the standard WEP password prompt. The interesting part is that when I put it in 802.1X WEP, it accepts it. Four to five bars, so I know it's being picked up. But then when I open both Firefox and Safari, they say they're not connected to the internet, despite the reception my AirPort is telling me I'm getting.

Oh! Also, when I'm prompted to Allow Certificate and I accept, I lose the 802.1X WEP access. I don't even know where to begin with Certificates.

Am I doing something wrong? What am I supposed to do from here? I feel so close and am just missing one piece of the puzzle, yknow? Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.