Odd metallic noise

Reaction score
I just bought a new MacBook Pro the beginning of August and have noticed an odd noise coming from the computer when I move it certain ways. It makes an odd metallic clunk-type noise. (I have owned many laptops in the past and have never heard a noise like this.) It almost sounds like something is loose and is bumping against something inside the computer. It is not a noise related to when it is running. Thoughts? Return it? Worried something might happen down the road...

Reaction score
I would suggest taking it in, and let Apple have a look.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
i think i may have had the same noise. i found out mine was because of what i assume were grounding leads that press against the bottom plate of the laptop. they were kind of scratching the bottom plate if you will. took the bottom off and put it back on and have yet to get the noise again. hope this helps

tye

Reaction score
I have the same sound and have looked it up, although I cannot remember from where. From what I understand there is some kind of protection mechanism by which if the newer macbook pros are suddenly moved the disk protection mechanism engages. It is primarily meant to protect the hard drive from dropping. This sound is normal when picking up the MBP ect...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
thats the sudden motion sensor. i think he might have a different noise. the SMS is more of a single click. plus he said it does it when its off..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.