Snow Leopard Backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Running Snow Leopard 10.6.4
Me being my stingy lazy old 14 year old self is thinking of upgrading to Snow Leopard. I have found in lots of places that backing up my data is a good thing to do. I am just too lazy and don't want to erase my precious hard drive to back up ALL my files. Do I have to backup my files if I want to keep them? Or is this just a precaution for some people? So if I don't back my files up will they get erased? Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
No they will not get erased when you upgrade, however I would never do such a thing without cloning my HDD first.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Almost all upgrades of SL will go just fine. Anytime you're talking about doing a major overhaul of the OS, partitioning a drive, etc., things can and do happen.

It's probably better than a 99.9% chance that you'll not have any issue. But be forewarned, it is possible for something to go wrong and you lose all your data. It's up to you and how important that data is or whether you like rolling the dice.

Just put in the DVD on my wife's machine while booted up in Leopard. Clicked on the install button and 45 minutes later, voila, she's up in SL with no problems at all. But, I still had a Time Machine backup just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
You don't have to erase all your files, but it's always best to backup if you treasure your data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.