• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

flip video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
I thought I would tell my flip video experience. I wanted to get a flip video so I had a video recorder always close at hand. So today I bought the flip video ultra. After hours of research before I bought it I was prepared to go through a rough time to get the videos into imovie 08. I almost bought quick time pro, but I found a share ware program that converts. So I took a couple of short takes. I decided to just try going into Imovie before any thing else to prove it won't work. ( everything I read on the web said it won't work) So I made a new folder in my movie folder named flip movies. I plugged the flip into my macbook and did not install any software, I just dragged the files into my new flip folder. Then I opened imovie 08 and imported them. Well, lo and behold, they imported and I can edit just fine. No extra software no trouble at all. Just as easy as my mini dv.
I am using tiger with I movie 08. I Hope this helps anyone considering this video recorder.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tested imovie hd. This works also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
glad to hear imovie works well, just less than 30 minutes of playing around i understood it all.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: Just installed snow leopard box set with imovie 09. Works the same way in 09. Wants to open iphoto though, have to quit that first. Sample of snow leopard box set made with flip video and imovie 09. Nothing great just a quick movie.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-beb1IE2ng

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Sweet. I have been thinking about buying one of these to bring to Lambeau!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: Imovie 09 will import directly into events without dragging files into another folder first as described in op. ( as tested on new flip ultra 120 min) 08 and 06 will not work directly importing, follow op instructions. oops sorry about the link, I didn't know it was set to private. should work now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.