Hard drive full. Why?

Reaction score
I'm new to macs, always had a PC before. I have a mac book pro 2008.

My hard drive seems to have filled up and I can't account for it. What is the quickest way to see where all the large files have been placed on the computer?

Also, I regularly do software updates for the mac, and these always seem to be anywhere up to 200 mb per update and I've done loads of these updates. Are these updates partially responsible for filling up my HD? :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm new to macs, always had a PC before. I have a mac book pro 2008.

My hard drive seems to have filled up and I can't account for it. What is the quickest way to see where all the large files have been placed on the computer?

Also, I regularly do software updates for the mac, and these always seem to be anywhere up to 200 mb per update and I've done loads of these updates. Are these updates partially responsible for filling up my HD? :(

Large files...probably your "Applications" folder.

Do you have a lot of music or videos on your computer?

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can find both of these with an easy google

DiskInventoryX

WhatSize

(Don't believe either of them are fully compatible with 10.6 right now.)

OP
R
Reaction score
Hard Drive Still Full

My applications folder is 6.9gb.

The majority of my docs are on the desktop, 50 gb maximum, and yet my hard drive is 200gb, and I have no space left on the hard drive!:Angry-Tongue:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

The majority of my docs are on the desktop, 50 gb maximum, and yet my hard drive is 200gb, and I have no space left on the hard drive!:Angry-Tongue:

I'm sure those big files or folders are on your hard drive somewhere. I'm guessing your hard drive needs a good cleaning to free up some space...what would you do if your hard drive crashed!;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

My dad told me once that files take up more space when they are on the desktop. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, then you should move (not copy!) them to a different location and put Aliases to them on your desktop. Aliases don't use any extra space.

Reaction score
Keeping apps on the desktop is not a good thing to do you can corrupt the file system. Do you ever clean out the bowser cashe,cookies or history. Do you have a file backup app running on automatic. backing up every day over and over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.