How to Kill a G3

Reaction score
Where I work my department manager forces me to use a Power Mac G3 for Photoshop and After Effects. Obviously it's a very slow machine, and even though our business manager has given the OK to get an updated machine and software, my department manager has thwarted my efforts and I will be indefinitely forced to use this obsolete machine.
This computer is a workhorse, and though I appreciate this solid piece of engineering, it's time to put her out to pasture. I am seeking a means to quietly put her down, so my company will be forced to replace it with some modern technology (like a nice new MacPro). Even though my productivity is a tiny fraction of what it could be, this machine won't be replaced unless it seems irreparably broken.
If anyone has some methods to make the machine inoperable I would be grateful. It's running OS9. I could obviously physically damage or disconnect components, but I'm seeking a more sophisticated approach.
Thanks in advance,
-Deprived of Modern Technology

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're trying to find a means of breaking your current machine (which isn't owned by you) so you can force your employer to replace your machine? That's quite unethical in my eyes.

If the company says that the machine you have right now is good enough, the decision is ultimately up to them to decide what machines are best for their business. Your best course of action would be to prove that a better machine is essential for you to effectively do your job.

OP
C
Reaction score
The "owner" of the machine has already authorized it's replacement, but someone is playing office politics to prevent it's replacement.
I already demonstrated it needed to be replaced but was backstabbed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz
The "owner" of the machine has already authorized it's replacement, but someone is playing office politics to prevent it's replacement.
I already demonstrated it needed to be replaced but was backstabbed.

Good luck getting that new machine. Photoshop is way too demanding a program to be using a G3...unless of course you have a really version of photoshop as well!

Reaction score
We would all like a nice Mac pro...but I like G3's I use one for graphics at home and not in no hurry. A PDF file is the same from a slow G3 or fast G5. But I understand your point. I could tell you how to do that devilish thing.. its quiet easy......I just cant kill a Mac.

Reaction score
In my opinion, if you double your work efforts, you'll also halve it's lifespan.
That way you're new mac may be closer than you think, good for you, and your employer.:)
Honestly you cannot destroy the indestructible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Don't you have a hammer at work?

But seriously, tell your boss about your work and how much better it will be and blah blah blah.

Maybe you can bring in a computer......

OP
C
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input and do hate to suggest sabotaging a nice, though dated machine.
Regarding using personal machines... I was bringing my Macbook Pro in every day until another instance of hypocritical office politics prevented me from doing so. It really is a very backwards place I work, but I guess we all have our gripes, and I'm supposed to be saying 'I should be happy I have a job...'
Anyway, I've got it figured out now. Thanks again to those I won't mention for the private messages.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I appreciate all the input and do hate to suggest sabotaging a nice, though dated machine.
Regarding using personal machines... I was bringing my Macbook Pro in every day until another instance of hypocritical office politics prevented me from doing so. It really is a very backwards place I work, but I guess we all have our gripes, and I'm supposed to be saying 'I should be happy I have a job...'
Anyway, I've got it figured out now. Thanks again to those I won't mention for the private messages.

I know that it's not easy...but if your place of employment is so political & backwards...maybe it's time to look elsewhere. Obviously you have got to be a pretty cool person if you own a MacBook Pro!:)

Of course if you're over-paid...I could understand staying!!!;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz
Does your paycheck bounce?

If not it might be a good idea to get back to work and let the normal office processes work.

If someone working for me sabotaged a company owned asset that would be their last act as an employee. I would probably seek damages too.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey Shad,
As I said, the purchase was authorized but a middle manager intervened and nixed the equipment I needed in an act of office politics. I could sit around for 10 more years using obsolete hardware because another employee thinks he has something to prove, but I'm choosing to take action and make my workplace more tolerable and productive for myself and coworkers. When "normal office processes" are direct actions to throw me under the bus I would be a complete fool to sit back and do nothing. So yeah, I'm going to snuff an obsolete 12 year old computer so I have a usable tool to do my job. I tried the "ethical" route and was thwarted by a petty jerk, who because he can't get his own purchasing needs filled feels OK killing my already authorized equipment. I'm pretty comfortable doing this, too. I'm all set with Photoshop 4.0, ready to move on to a slightly newer version. Oh yeah, a new version and computer authorized for purchase until someone screwed me over because he couldn't get a set built.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need to take a step back and think about this logically. If you had a subordinate employee and this individual purposely destroyed company equipment (regardless of how ineffectual it makes you at doing you job), would you be pleased? Would you sit back and think, "yeah, I think that employee was right". It doesn't matter what one boss says if one higher up the "food chain" says no. Welcome to the real world.

Reaction score
The way things are right now I would not do anything that could get you fired. With money tight they will just fix the machine. If you own a newer version of photoshop just use your own laptop. You need to show them there are losing clients because of the older Macs. Like I said I run photoshop 6 on a G3. If you have cutting edge world wide clients you do need the lastest stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.