Snow Leopard Forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
For awhile at least, there will probably be a good number of threads dealing with SL, and also with Leopard. Rather than mixing the two, would it be a good idea to separate them?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's why we have an OS X: Operating System forum where people are required to choose a version prefix.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come again? And that avoids mixing different versions of OSX how?

You missed the thrust of my inquiry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
There is no need for a new forum. SL goes under the OS X forum and you use the prefix separate different versions. Not too hard.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no need for a new forum. SL goes under the OS X forum and you use the prefix separate different versions. Not too hard.

Exactly.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so you guys don't get my point, that's fine. At least my point has not been addressed.... I'm reading between the lines, and gather that the policy here is to mix rather than separate. That's understood. I still think it would be better to separate them. That way, someone only interested in older OSes wouldn't have to wade through all the topics on the latest release, and vice versa.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand your point, it's just that we don't get all that much traffic in the existing OS X: Operating System forum. Right now, yes, there is a lot of traffic. But as things settle down, I'd say a good 75% of the people here will be talking about 10.6 primarily. With the thread prefixes, it's easy to see what OS people are discussing. And of course, if we identify a problem where it becomes a mess, we'll certainly consider adding additional forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
someone only interested in {fill in the blank} wouldn't have to wade through all the topics on {fill in the blank}, and vice versa.
...which is exactly why there is a Forum Search tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And you can also only display topics tagged with your particular prefix. So you can filter the forum threads to be only those prefixed by 10.6 or 10.1 or whatever you want to see.

The reality is this:
- Most questions about how to do something in an OS aren't substantially different between OSX versions therefore, much applies to everyone
- The more forums you have, the less any get read. From a usability standpoint, if there's not a clear, overwhelming benefit to separation, fewer forums is always better.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand your point ... if we identify a problem where it becomes a mess, we'll certainly consider adding additional forums.

Fair enough. It was just a thought. Several other forum sites have more than one OS page, whether it be pre-OSX or 10.0 to 10.5 or 10.6, whatever...

...which is exactly why there is a Forum Search tool.

That's a thought... Are you saying to Search "OS 10.whatever" to display just those topics?

And you can also only display topics tagged with your particular prefix. So you can filter the forum threads to be only those prefixed by 10.6 or 10.1 or whatever you want to see.

The reality is this:
- Most questions about how to do something in an OS aren't substantially different between OSX versions therefore, much applies to everyone
- The more forums you have, the less any get read. From a usability standpoint, if there's not a clear, overwhelming benefit to separation, fewer forums is always better.

In reverse order:
-In general, I agree. I think the benefit in separating topics is when the traffic creates such a long list of them that I tend to give up on a forum rather than wade through several pages for topics of interest, or ones I think I can offer an answer to.
-There's the rub. When a question is not really OS specific, it's a fallacy to so identify it. But, I suppose many users would not know, or be uncertain about when the distinction is valid. That's probably a reason to leave them all in one pot.
-That's interesting. I was not aware of that ability. My suggestion is a more straight forward solution to a "problem" that the responders so far don't see as a problem. I don't see such an option on the OSX Forum page. Do you mean you'd "tag" a particular prefix by changing something in your User Profile?

Thanks to all who've responded. I might be learning a new trick or two from your thoughtful counterpoints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The option is at the bottom of the list of topics

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
odd placement

Never noticed that before. I guess that's what this forum is for!

Seems like the top of the page would be a better place for that group of options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.