Connecting to LG LCD HD TV

Reaction score
Macbook connectivity to LG LCD television set. I read a lot on this site about difficulties connecting a Macbook to a LG LCD TV using the RGB input connection. Using a mini-DVI adapter and Radio Shack cables (both audio and video) I kept receiving a "invalid format" message when I switched the TV input selection to "RGB/PC".

Several tips were helpful: 1) With the TV and the laptop turned on and the error message showing, reboot the computer and hit the apple special function key and the special function key #7 simultaneously, 2) this allows the Macbook to "find" the TV, 3) then set the output resolution to 640X40 at 60 Hz (in Displays Preferences on the Mac). This is the only combination that works for me. The desktop looks "grainy" on the TV but when I play a DVD or watch Netflix over the internet it looks great!!

Thanks to you all for these suggestions, which I have only summarized in one spot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.