Share your Snow Leopard Experience/Concerns

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
According to the Apple website at Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, If you’ve purchased a qualifying computer or Xserve on or after June 8, 2009 that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard for $9.95.

There is a link on the page to provide your serial number to order the upgrade. I purchased my MBP at the end of June 2009 therefore I should qualify. I followed the link for purchases made at the Apple store since that is where I purchased mine. Strangely, my serial number was not recognized. I called Apple and they gave me a case number. I was told it may take some time for my number to show in the system. Although it's hard to believe that a company like Apple would not have a system where purchases are immediately logged upon sales completion, I accepted the response. I was told to wait a little longer and try later. That was over a month ago and today the number is still not recognized. I copied the number directly from System Profiler.

Has anyone else experience this? If so how long did you wait before the system recognized your serial number? Or did you give up and mailed-in or faxed-in? I'd rather complete online.

Oh yea the rep never said they would give me the upgrade free but did say that if my number did not show by the date of the release, they would send me the upgrade. I'm thinking she meant free of charge. I'll take savings anyway it comes!!

Reaction score
if you click the apple logo and press about this mac and click on the operating system then click build type it should change to the serial number you might have just gotten the wrong number from system profiler

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
I check and the serial number in profiler matches the number in build type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
just curious, who's upgrading to snow leopard 10.6 this weekend? and who isn't?

i am not new to apple or os x leopard, i have been a user since feb 2008. however, i am wondering how apple is when it comes to OS upgrades. is it like windows, and upon release, it's buggy and full of compatablity problems, or is it a lot smoother (i hope smoother).

just wanting everyones opinion. so post some feedback, either good or bad and why you are or are not upgrading to snow leopard.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Depends on wether I'm within the cheap upgrade window. I only bought my iMac a little while back.
If it's a case of paying £25 for it, I'll let others bug test it first :D
It sure looks nice though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes. Only $29 USD for me, so well worth the investment.
Never been through an OS upgrade with Mac before so we'll see. But I seriously doubt it will be "buggy" at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
When will you get Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

When you go to the SL page on Apple's site and click on "Pre-order", it says on the right hand side of the screen "Ships: Delivers on August 28th".
So, I understood that to mean it would arrive at my house this coming Friday.
Besides, free shipping!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I've been through... god, I don't even know how many OS upgrades with Mac. I've been using Mac OS since the late 80s when I was but a tyke. I didn't start using OS X until jaguar, and have upgraded from Jaguar to Panther, Panther to Tiger, and Tiger to Leopard. It's usually best to wait until the first revision (10.6.1), but this time around I'm going to take the plunge into Snow Leopard right off, since I am so curious. I don't mind a few bugs here and there assuming they get hammered out, and if worse comes to worse, I still have my leopard discs, so I can revert and then upgrade back when 10.6.1 is released and grab it through software update.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's usually best to wait until the first revision (10.6.1), but this time around I'm going to take the plunge into Snow Leopard right off, since I am so curious.

This pretty much describes my feelings as well. Plus I cannot remember such a significant OS update/upgrade that only costs $29 bucks.

It almost seems to me, for those folks with Intel Macs, that 10.6 is a more significant upgrade than going from 10.4 to 10.5...and that one cost $129!!!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Mine is on Pre-Order and should be with me by the 28th.

I am going to plunge straight in. I will however clone my HDD before the upgrade so that I can roll it back conveniently if I am not happy.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is on Pre-Order and should be with me by the 28th.

I am going to plunge straight in. I will however clone my HDD before the upgrade so that I can roll it back conveniently if I am not happy.

:)

Ditto.

Reaction score
Im gonna just go down to my local retailer to get the upgrades for my macbook and imac as my imac is the 10 buck upgrade but my macbook is 30 i think. Either way im doing it this friday and hope all goes well with the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13", iMac G4, eMac G4, PowerMac G5, iBook G3, Mac Mini G4, iPod Classic, iPadAir2
I'm planning on jumping in. £25 is a good deal for such a great OS :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still haven't decided whether I get the upgrade or the full version for my machines.

My MBP is gettin' close to 3 yrs old now and doubt I'll hang on to it through the next OS. Have been buying Family packs which means right now the most recent OS I have that I can pass on the disks with the machine is Tiger if I buy the upgrade.

Reaction score
Not yet. I need a new Superdrive in my iMac first and I'm waiting for a settlement check to come in so I can purchase a Macbook and a new Superdrive for the iMac.

All I need is a hex wrench to crack open the iMac, right? It's a 20-inch aluminum model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
At $30, I'm gonna have to say yes :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
When you go to the SL page on Apple's site and click on "Pre-order", it says on the right hand side of the screen "Ships: Delivers on August 28th".
So, I understood that to mean it would arrive at my house this coming Friday.
Besides, free shipping!

That was a post I made elsewhere that was moved here by the moderators here. So it is very out of context.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Still haven't decided whether I get the upgrade or the full version for my machines.

My MBP is gettin' close to 3 yrs old now and doubt I'll hang on to it through the next OS. Have been buying Family packs which means right now the most recent OS I have that I can pass on the disks with the machine is Tiger if I buy the upgrade.

I've been wondering what Apple is going to charge for the 10.6 full install / universal install. They don't seem to list it at the store yet...just the "Box Set" which includes iWork 09 & iLife 09.

Wondering if the price will remain $129 like 10.5...or if it's going to increase.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.