Share your Snow Leopard Experience/Concerns

Reaction score
No, it's a full install, not just an "upgrade". Lifehacker mentioned this yesterday.

Thanks for the link, it is a nice article. However, I was a Leopard user, just upgrade to the snow cat and I love it....try to be away from your keyboard then come back, you will get the Welcome message.

Well, if I considered to do a clean install my MBP next time, I would pop the installation Snow Leopard dish in, instead of going around Leopard>Snow Leopard.

Cheers ;)

SG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I really wish that I had just popped into my local Apple Shop instead of pre-ordering it! Doh!

Good news on the upgrade/full install front! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Alright! Is anyone here still running iLife '08? If you are, let me know if it still works when you make the upgrade :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's just the "prefix" wasn't up yet!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it true that the White MacBooks can't use the 64-bit processing? Some news report said the first intel macs "core duo) can't take advantage of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm getting it, but not yet. I want Apple to have a chance to address any bugs that they find and put a new version with fixes on the shelves. I also want to make sure that my iLife software won't be deemed unusable.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
Snow Leopard install 1 hr/ 12 min on my MBP

I just started installing Snow Leopard. I'm posting from iPhone. Installation window says install will take 1 hour and 12 minutes. You can see my specs in my signature. I will report back when it's completed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that's not too bad. I think Tiger and Leopard were worse.

Reaction score
The New Leopard has arrived

FexEX just pulled up with my copy of Snow Leopard

Will do a quick Time Machine - then uncage the animal..I'm really not expecting much.

Reaction score
I imagine how much stuff you've actually got on there will affect the install time if it needs to move lots of files or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on your upgrade! Let us know how it goes.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 inch | 2.66Ghz | 320GB-HD | 4G-RAM | GeForce 9400M & 9600M GT with 512MB DDR3 SDRAM
Best Buy store had no Snow;Fry's = $27

Best Buy retail store sales person told me Snow Leopard not available until October 4th. I didn't mention today's release. Went down the road to Fry's and bought for $27 not $29.

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked before install started and my capacity is 297.77 GB with 127.63 available. I have a 320GB 5400-rpm drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. Are they sold out yet?

OP
coolbreeze
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They had display with about hmmm maybe 50 copies.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Snow Leopard Buying Experience

Ok...so I know that we have been seeing lots of Snow Leopard threads this week...so I apologize if when you read the title that you thought..."Ohh no...not another Snow Leopard thread!";)

Hopefully I can add a couple interesting tidbits to this post to make it worthy of it's own thread!

So here goes, today's Mac OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard" buying experience.

Let me start by saying on Monday when the news broke that 10.6 could be pre-ordered, and if done by Wednesday, you would get it in the mail by Friday...that I was ready to order faster than I could get my credit card out of my wallet!;D

But then I procrastinated & procrastinated...the Wednesday deadline came & went...and then I figured that I would wait & see what the initial experiences were from forum members...and if I felt like it & if the Apple Store still had copies...I would purchase 10.6 this weekend or next week. Which would give me the opportunity to visit the store, and take part in the excitement.

Well so this morning (Friday) I think to myself, it's still early, maybe I'll just "pop" into the Apple Store and see what's up. I'm going to have to pay $29 bucks sooner or later...so why not today!

So at 11am I started my trip to the nearest Apple Store. which is just 1.5 miles away. I get to the shopping mall, park the car, and enter the mall. I'm thinking man...I hope the store isn't too busy...I hope they still have some copies left...it would really suck if the line for 10.6 stretched outside the store!

So I turn the corner inside the mall, so that I can see the entrance to the Apple Store..and I think...good, no line outside the store. Then I'm thinking...yeah but it could be really crowded inside the store, and I won't know till I get to the entrance. I get to the entrance, look inside, and bummer...the stores no more crowded than it normally would be at Friday at 11am!!!:( I was kind of looking forward to lots of excitement, people being rude, people grabbing copies of Snow Leopard out of someone else's hand...a riot breaking out over the last copy in the store!!!;D

Nope...didn't happen....plenty of copies of Snow Leopard everywhere!!! All customers acting their normal civilized selves! I'm thinking where's the CHAOS!!!;D

I did take the opportunity to quickly strike up a conversation with the salesperson that was helping me. He ended up being one of the store manager types...so I asked him what the deal was with the $29 install disk & the legality of 10.4 users using it as a full install vs. purchasing the "Mac Box Set".

Well he sort of strategically avoided answering my question, and jumped into the "official sales pitch" of what a GREAT deal the Mac Box Set
was for OS 10.4 users...with the latest versions of iWork & iLife, plus the full install of 10.6. All the while I'm thinking...nope, nope, nope...I'm not buying the sales pitch. In my head I saying...nope...most average users if they know that the $29 disk is a full install, they're going to purchase the $29 dollar disk...not the $169 dollar Mac Box Set.

So I pressed him on it...he new EXACTLY what I was thinking...he sort of gave me a "smirky" grin...but would not openly say that it was OK for an OS 10.4 user to use the $29 dollar 10.6 disk as a legal method to install Mac OS 10.6.

Since he appeared unwilling to say anything more, I said thank you very much, he took my credit card, charged me for my purchase of 10.6, and I said have a nice weekend!

Overall it was sort of like an everyday trip to the grocery store. You go in, grab your doughnuts, pay for them, head home!

Basically my whole trip to the Apple Store about 1.5 miles away (driving there, talking to the Apple salesperson, buying Snow Leopard, driving home) took a total of about 25 minutes!!!

Of course it was very positive to not have to fight crowds at the store, wait in a long line, and possibly not get a copy of 10.6.

Once home, I took a photo of the contents for your viewing pleasure:

DSCN1237.jpg

I apologize for the long post...hopefully you found it moderately interesting!

- Nick

p.s. By the way...I have not installed 10.6 yet. Also...I know some folks out there didn't get there disks as planned. Hopefully you will get them soon!:)

Reaction score
Had fun reading it, mine is on the way.

I sure hope to get it by wednesday, cause it took 5 workdays to deliver, and I hope I get the same edition you got...:)

Looking forward to reading your feedback on the OS, pigoo3

grtz:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.