Share your Snow Leopard Experience/Concerns

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
I just recently installed newly purchased Office 2008 and Adobe Creative Suite 4. The applications won't fight agains running under a new version of the OS, will they?

Those two should be just fine. I hear there are a few slight issues with CS4, issues that won't affect 98% of users, but you should get an update for those eventually. Nothing that should keep you from using the program on 10.6. John Nack on Adobe: Adobe Snow Leopard FAQ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
i have one problem or maybe its not a problem. I cant open up quicktime, is it suppose to only open when you want to open a video file?

Forgot to mention, installed it last night and everything was smooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
All done!

You CAN do a fresh clean install with the update disk.

The MBP is very, very quick now [it was quick before!]. Boot up time has decreased by around 5-10 seconds.

This is a before and after disk size.

Picture1.png

Screenshot2009-08-29at185349.png

I did a little video 'how to' that I will post when I get a chance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I love my new Snow Leopard! The only issue I've experienced is with SMTP out of Mail. I have two specified, Cox (my ISP) and .mac. I've been using the Cox server while connected at home and .mac when on the road. It's always worked fine. Since I installed Snow Leopard I can't get the Cox SMTP to connect. But the .mac works fine so I'm not suffering. Does anyone have any idea why the Cox SMTP which worked fine under 10.5 doesn't want to work under 10.6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4 Ram, 320 GB
Just installed it on two Macbook Pros, no issue at all with the install. So far it seems faster, I like the option box that pops up on the dock icons and it free up disk space on my hard drive. Glad I made the switch.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love my new Snow Leopard! The only issue I've experienced is with SMTP out of Mail. I have two specified, Cox (my ISP) and .mac. I've been using the Cox server while connected at home and .mac when on the road. It's always worked fine. Since I installed Snow Leopard I can't get the Cox SMTP to connect. But the .mac works fine so I'm not suffering. Does anyone have any idea why the Cox SMTP which worked fine under 10.5 doesn't want to work under 10.6?

I guess you must have missed my post on SMTP and SL back a bit in this thread.

Open the Keychain Access in the Utilities folder and look for the SMTP entry for Cox. Delete that entry and then when mail asks for the SMTP password, enter that. Solved it for me. Was having the same issue with AT&T SMTP but Gmail worked fine. That solved it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Unleashed the animal 2 hours ago, all installed without a glitch in under 1 hour

All apps. operational as before, no data loss, machine seems more responsive than before.

TimeMachine has just launched it's first backup on 10.6 and is backing up 9 GB wireless, so I am going to bed and let it run.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 160GB, 9400M
I just finished my MB going to SL in about an hour.

Everything is running perfectly fine and very fast <3

Also I got about 14GB back after doing the install !

Ahh I love the performace for SL. Can't wait to see some updates !

Reaction score
Overall, not impressed. Clean installs seem to be okay, but my straight-up upgrade on my MacPro (where all my files are) is wanked. Gonna try clean install with import/migration utility here in a bit, but not looking forward to installing app again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Here is something that bothers me about Spaces in Snow Leopard. If I have one application in the foreground in space 1 and I move to a different space and come back, that application might not be in front anymore. If Finder is open, it will move to the front of the space. This is very irksome to me. Has anyone else noticed this? iChat does the same thing sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
It doesn't always happen, only sometimes. Also, minimized windows now appear in Expose. This is different and not in a good way. If I've minimized something, it's because I don't need to work with that window right now. Other than these things, SL is working beautifully on my Mac as well as my wife's. Very quick. Between us, we saved more that 25 GBs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GB RAM, 2.2Ghz, 160GB HD. 160GB Ipod Classic. 16GB iphone 3GS. Red 2G Shuffle.
Pre-ordered on tuesday and it arrived this morning (saturday). So far very pleased having gained 14gb back and I've noticed it running a lot slicker, I've not experienced a beachball since upgrading either - worked out as a great deal for me as the family pack comes with five licences and it was a 4 way split in my household :)

Will report back with any problems but none so far during normal operation.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No boot for me with the SL upgrade. The entire install went without a hitch. But can't boot. Just get a kernel panic on start up.

Booted into my SD backup (done immediately prior to the install) at the moment to try and troubleshoot.

Looks like it may be a Paragon issue from the log.

Looks like Apple is at least going to keep some kind of track on illegal use. There is also a new kext that SL loads I've not seen before.
It's called Dont Steal Mac OS X.

I hope there's not so much of it they have to start instituting some activation type stuff with their software. That would be a real drag.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep - Paragon Snapshot was causing the kernel panic on startup

removed it's kext and am up in SL now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 14", M2 Pro, 32GB RAM
Upgraded my iMac yesterday, and apart from having to update Fusion for compatibility, most everything seems to be working OK...with the exception of Expose. Can't get the Logitech mouse wheel button to emulate F3 keystroke no matter what.

Something is up with the Logitech software, as it forces a Finder restart whenever I try to open it in System Preferences.

Tom

Reaction score
50/50

imac 24 inch upgraded without a hitch.

Macbook pro = nightmare.

Screen went black during install. After reboot it goes black again.

Take out DVD.

Doesn't boot at all. Just goes to folder and question mark.

Basically messed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I had Office 2008 installed on Leopard before I installed Snow Leopard. Afterwards, it's still running great with no problems. I did not have to un-install or re-install Office 2008 or do anything special.

Those two should be just fine. I hear there are a few slight issues with CS4, issues that won't affect 98% of users, but you should get an update for those eventually. Nothing that should keep you from using the program on 10.6. John Nack on Adobe: Adobe Snow Leopard FAQ

Thank you both for that, and thanks for the link. The current problems with CS4 won't bother me at this juncture. If things go as planned with school, not this year at all. :)

You're not on Windows anymore my friend...

Yes, I'm learning that over and over again. :) And enjoying every minute of it.

I'm seriously thinking of making an iMac my next desktop purchase, and converting my current windows desktop to a Linux server...

:cool: Eric the Grey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.