Partitions For Dual Booting

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently trying to partition my mac book pro so I have a partition for MAC OS X, one for Windows, and one for Media. I would like to be able to access the media on both operating systems, but i dont know much about formats so i need some help please. Would formating the windows partition as free space be ok or should it be ms-dos. and should the media partition be ms-dos or partitioned as free space? help would be greatly appreciated :D .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Windows can run on FAT32 or NTFS. Both can be read & written from MAC using 3rd party tools. Same applies to MAC's hfsplus partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Windows can run on FAT32 or NTFS. Both can be read & written from MAC using 3rd party tools. Same applies to MAC's hfsplus partition.

To the OP:

Note a correction to the above statement that only Windows XP can run on FAT32 or NTFS. Vista and Windows 7 can not be installed nor will they run on FAT32. (Only NTFS) So it depends on which version of Windows you intend to install.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.