Need better wireless signal for school

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a college student in serious need of a stronger wireless signal in my bedroom. My apartment building has a router and I get good signal in my sitting room, but I only get one bar of signal (which flickers in and out) in my bedroom, where I do most of my work. :(

The walls are concrete and there is no wiring for Ethernet. I cannot do anything to the router itself. I have spoken to Apple sales and tech and confirmed that Apple does not have a product that could help; they suggested I turn to "third party products."

Surely other people have similar issues? Can anyone recommend a product for me and explain what I should do in laywoman's terms? I have a MacBook 10.5.8 and a limited budget.

Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Are you by chance in the SF bay area? A company called Sonic Net may be able to help. They can provide routers with "Wireless Filters" designed to extend wireless signals, but I'm not sure if it can interact with other providers. Although, that probably needs an ethernet hookup of some kind.

T

todd51

Maybe try to get a USB wireless adapter? You could always get a USB extension cord and then move it around the room to see if you get a better signal somewhere else. Of course you might need a long cord for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.