iPhone detects WiFi but cannot connect

Reaction score
An odd thing happened to my iPhone a couple of months ago.

From being absolutely fine on my home wireless network it suddenly stopped connecting. At first I thought it was just a glitch. I subsequently updated the firmware to the latest version but it still wouldn't connect. Upon trying to connect to other networks I get the same 'Unable to join the network "xxx"' regaredless of the security (or lack thereof) on the connection.

I find this strange as the networks are detected, it just cannot connect. I've updated, reset, etc etc but to no avail.

Any suggestions before I send it in?

Reaction score
I think I have a solution to the iPhone WiFi connection issue

My wife's iPhone was having this exact same issue. She has a 16GB White 3G. I searched like crazy on the internet and came across a method that seems to work. I will simplify the steps for you.

Here is what I did to resolve the issue.

1. Change the wireless network password on your router
2. Reset the network settings in the iPhone
(Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings)

3. After the device restarts, go to the Wi-Fi menu
4. Select your network, and enter the new password
5. (Optional) Revert the wireless password back to its original value
6. Reconnect the iPhone

Everything should be working now.

Best wishes

~ mr570

Reaction score
If the above don't work.

1. Sometimes that might not work. Unplug your router for 10-15 seconds, and then plug it back in. Then try and connect with your iPhone. Don't work go to 2.

2. Try updating your firmware or do a fresh setup for your wireless router. If that doesn't work go to 3.

3. Restore your iPhone without using your backup and treat it like a new phone. If problem persists take it to a genius bar.

Reaction score
in my experience this is generally a wireless router problem. A firmware upgrade on the router will help. If not try changing routers. Can the phone connect to other routers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
this happened to me before...any wifi available i wasn't able to connect to wether it was home, school, friends house....i took it to Apple they said that the wifi component inside the phone was broken or something similar basically had to send it in and pay a lump some since my warranty was over....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Just in case anyone else was having this problem all I did was reset the router and then it connected no problem....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Just to be clear with you all... The most likely problem for an iPhone not to connect to wifi is because since about the 2.6 software, the iPhone uses WPA2 security.
The easiest way to solve the problem is to up the security on your router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
I would just try a general power cycle of the router. Turn off all other devices on the network and reset the iPhones network settings.

Reaction score
you can also reset the network settings in the iPhone as well. I tried reseting my router and all that but it never fixed it. resetting the network settings in the phone has worked every time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Well just in case I set my network to wap2 and am going to see if that will fix it. Hopefully there will be no more problems from my iphone and MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
if nothing works before taking the phone to apple to get a replace pt the phone in freezer for 5 mins and then try to connect again.. I had the same problem and tried everything everybody suggested but never gave credit to this solution. It is most likely caused by a fault in the cooling system or the wifi chip is just gone bad.

Reaction score
no wi-fi on iphone

Needed a solution to my iphone problem-no wi-fi. Well I read some of the blogs , and straight away I knew that it wasnt my router as my partner has the same phone and hers is fine. We have just returned from mexico where we used the hotels wi-fi, and it was fine. But when we got home her iphone asked her for the password, but mine just said no connection. So I turned off all networks in the generals tab, then went to the reset in settings tab and reset network settings. Bingo it work.... It asked then asked me for my password for the router, and it is now working. So I think this is the best and first solution. jozef:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, i5, 8 GB RAM, iPhone 4 (16GB), iPad 2+3 (32 GB)
If you are not able to connect any other wireless networks with your phone, it may not be a problem with your specific wireless connection/router, but rather your cellular device itself. Try doing a cold reboot with your iPhone, and if all fails, I would recommend you bring your iPhone to an Apple store.

Reaction score
Sorry for rezzing, but this thread is one of the top results when googling about iPhones and an inability to access a network they used to be able to use.

I'm using a Belkin.2b8 router. My router is set up with my iPhone, printer, PC, and a netbook. Only iPhone has a problem with the router, but I was able to fix the issue and connect.

While I didn't prove it, I assumed that my PC and iPhone were trying to share the same addresses so the phone was getting kicked out of the router. To fix this:

1) Unplug all ethernet wires from router (In my case, it was just my PC)
2) Unplug router from power source for 15 seconds.. Make sure the network DOES NOT show up in the wifi settings of iPhone before you power it back on.
3) Power on the router
4) Connect iPhone to network
5) Reconnect all ethernet wires, and additional WIFI devices.

Moral of the story is to allow the iPhone to be the only connection to the router, THEN add everything else.
After about two weeks following this fix, the same issue arose so this is only a patch; I'm assuming something is wrong with the iPhone wifi software but the method above worked flawlessly two times for me.

EDIT: I guess it would be important to mention that my router does not have a password or any security.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.