New Mac User -- Is there anything like System Restore for a mac?~

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a new mac user who managed to lose all her photos today via an error while multi tasking.

<.<;; I managed to lose all the photos I uploaded today while multitasking. I was hoping that there might be something similar to system restore like there is on windows so I can get them back. I was using microsoft word and was toggling back and fourth between my photos I accidently hit cmd z while I had the photo folder open thinking I was in microsoft word and all of the pictures disappeared. I don't have any other copies of the photos. I'm hoping there's a way of salvaging these lost photos. Any ideas?

Best of thanks,
Andrea

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello! I'm a new mac user who managed to lose all her photos today via an error while multi tasking.

<.<;; I managed to lose all the photos I uploaded today while multitasking. I was hoping that there might be something similar to system restore like there is on windows so I can get them back. I was using microsoft word and was toggling back and fourth between my photos I accidently hit cmd z while I had the photo folder open thinking I was in microsoft word and all of the pictures disappeared. I don't have any other copies of the photos. I'm hoping there's a way of salvaging these lost photos. Any ideas?

Best of thanks,
Andrea

I'm a bit confused what happened here. You said that you accidently hit "command-z" while having your photo folder open.

Command-z is an "undo" command. So it would simply "undo" the last thing you did with your photo folder.

So the question is...what was the last thing you did when working with your photo folder before hitting "command-z".

If for example, you were moving your photos from one folder to a second folder...then the command-z simply would have "undone" the movement of the photos.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
earth2andrea
Reaction score
The last thing I did was move my photos from my camera into the photo folder. I cleared the photos from my camera after everything had uploaded so everything I had was in that folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
If you have a Time Machine backup, you can restore the photos from there.

Sean

OP
earth2andrea
Reaction score
I do have time machine, but unfortunately a back up driver was never actually set up so I can't go that route. Does anyone have any other suggestions I might be able to try out?

Best of thanks,
Andrea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well it's probably way too late now, but you could have hit cmmd Y to redo the last action.

OP
earth2andrea
Reaction score
Yes. Yes it is ; ;
I wish I knew mac os better.. I feel like there has to be away to retrieve my lost photos. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!~

-Andrea

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.