MacBook Pro screen gets dirty easy and does not come clean

Reaction score
I have noticed a considerable difference in the screen of my MacBook Pro - it gets dirty very easy and does not come clean easily. Do you have any recommendation of what I should use to clean the screen? This so far is the only thing I am not impressed with in this model. Any thoughts?:Grimmace:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not a question or comment about the website, moving to appropriate forum.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have noticed a considerable difference in the screen of my MacBook Pro - it gets dirty very easy and does not come clean easily. Do you have any recommendation of what I should use to clean the screen? This so far is the only thing I am not impressed with in this model. Any thoughts?:Grimmace:

I'm not sure how dirty your screen is getting. I know using my MBP in my home the screen really does not get that dirty...but maybe the environment where you use your laptop exposes it to more things.

With that being said...I purchased a MBP from a person recently that cleaned the screen before selling it to me. This cleaning...left the screen all streaked with cleaner / water residue.

I wanted to clean it really well...so I went to my local office supply store (Staples, Office Max, Office Depot...not sure where you are located if you have these stores)...and purchased what are called "Monitor Wipes" and a "micro fiber" cloth.

You get something like 100 monitor wipes in the container. The micro fiber cloth is a good choice...as it doesn't leave any nasty lint you might get from tissue paper or paper towels.

Of course you could go the simpler route...and just use a damp cloth with water, and a paper towel...and take your chances with lint/paper residue. Just remember to wet the cleaning cloth first...and don't use any more liquid than absolutely necessary!

Otherwise you will be posting a thread like...I spilled liquid on my laptop while trying to clean the display...now it doesn't work, what can I do? ;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Have you ever tried using this on our monitors? Might be over kill but it says it cleans away everything.

Monster Cable - TV Screen Cleaning Kit - TV CLNKT

might be another choice. I would be hesitant using just water and a paper towel. At least go with monitor wipes. I just use my microfiber cloth that came with my MBP.

Reaction score
I would be careful using any paper-based products to clean your screen. Paper towels, kleenex, etc. are all made from wood and, believe it or not, over time will scratch glass (hence the reason a good optometrist will strongly recommend that you not clean your glasses with kleenex or the like). Use a lint-free cloth specifically designed for cleaning glass.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To quote the Apple page on care for MBPs, "Shut down your MacBook Pro, detach the power adapter, and remove the battery. Dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with water only and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen." This has worked really well for me in the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.