Apple Hardware Test OK
Disk Utility Verification OK
Disk Permissions OK

Programs Installed:
Everything from the Install Disk
Firefox
Frostwire

Issue:

Original hard drive crashed. Subsequently attempted to install new hard drives- 3 Western Digital 160 gb Scorpio models. The first didn't show up right away, but I read this was a common problem with Mac+WD drives. Eventually it showed up, I formatted it, and installed the OSX. Within hours it was running very slowly, and when I ran the disk utility it said that the disk was failing. Tried to install 2 more at the store, and both said they were failing right away.

The store then installed a 160gb Hitachi drive, which showed up right away. I formatted it, and installed the OSX at the store. Everything went fine, it started up right away. When the gentleman at the store was closing the case up, he pulled the RAM out to wave it in my face and tell me that I should buy more RAM from him. When he put it back into the computer, he didn't put it in tightly enough, and it wouldn't start. He opened it back up again, fixed this, and then it worked fine.

When I got home again, is when the real issues starting happening. It will sometimes boot up right away, and other times it will show only a white screen or a question mark. If I take out the battery, unplug the power cable, and hold down the power button (restore default settings), it will start working again. It usually works fine once it's turned on, although sometimes it will freeze, but once it's turned off it seems to be a coin toss whether it will boot up again right away.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Might his messing with the RAM improperly caused this issue? Might it be a Virus? *worried*

Thank you in advance for answers.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are no viruses that can run in OS X.

I'd pull the RAM, reseat it, and/or try it in a different slot.

For what reason have you not updated the OS? I'd recommend updating your machine to 10.4.11.

And the salesman is right in this case - I'd upgrade the RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.