Flashing folder w/ question mark!

Reaction score
Hi all I've done some research and know this problem has been talked about many times . . .
But here it is again.. This is really frustrating it'll be great if anyone can offer me some help. :(

I tried rebooting from disc and under the "disk utility" my HD is not detected . . . My guess is the HD is dead.. I do have applecare and would like to bring it to the genius bar.

BUT the problem is.. this leopard that I'm using is an unofficial version (though it was working w/o a problem before the HD died). I tried rebooting using the 10.9 disc that comes with my macbook but it doesn't work.

What should I do now? Will they not fix my MB because of that?? Any advice??
Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in Advanced!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you didn't use illegal software, you wouldn't have this worry.

However, if your machine is covered by Applecare, a dead drive is a dead drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi all I've done some research and know this problem has been talked about many times . . .
But here it is again.. This is really frustrating it'll be great if anyone can offer me some help. :(

I tried rebooting from disc and under the "disk utility" my HD is not detected . . . My guess is the HD is dead.. I do have applecare and would like to bring it to the genius bar.

BUT the problem is.. this leopard that I'm using is an unofficial version (though it was working w/o a problem before the HD died). I tried rebooting using the 10.9 disc that comes with my macbook but it doesn't work.

What should I do now? Will they not fix my MB because of that?? Any advice??
Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in Advanced!

There are a bunch of things that don't make sense here:

- you're using an "unofficial" version of Leopard, not sure what you mean by this
- your hard drive is dead
- rebooting with your 10.9 disk, there is no such thing as a 10.9 disk

If you still have warranty/Applecare...great for you!:) Take it to your nearest Apple Store for them to look at! Take advantage of that warranty!!!;D

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

There are a bunch of things that don't make sense here:

- you're using an "unofficial" version of Leopard, not sure what you mean by this
- your hard drive is dead
- rebooting with your 10.9 disk, there is no such thing as a 10.9 disk

If you still have warranty/Applecare...great for you!:) Take it to your nearest Apple Store for them to look at! Take advantage of that warranty!!!;D

- Nick

Now I just noticed that I typed in 10.9 instead of 9 :p No wonder it doesn't make sense at all. So yea I meant Mac OS 9. And "unofficial" I meant illegal version.

If you didn't use illegal software, you wouldn't have this worry.

However, if your machine is covered by Applecare, a dead drive is a dead drive.

Yes I learn my lesson now :(

So this does sound like a dead HD right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If not it probably should be lol! Do not use the OS 9 discs. Go out and purchase a full retail install copy of Leopard, pop it in the drive and reboot holding down 'C'. if she boots, go to the menu bar and run Repair Disc.

If not, take the machine and disc along to your Genius Bar of Apple dealer.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'll bring it to the Genius Bar and see how it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.