Connecting to college network

JAD

Reaction score
My son purchased a new MacBook about a month ago - before going off to college. Until going to the campus, he only used a wireless connection to the Internet - with no problems. Once at college, he has been unable to connect to the Internet via the college's network using the Ethernet cable provided. The school's IT people and a call to Apple have not solved the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless the school has some sort of encryption scheme and password for their network, connecting via ethernet should be easy.

Open System Preferences, Network. Select Ethernet from the list.

"Configure": Select "Using DHCP"

"DNS Server" Your son will need to obtain the primary and secondary addresses from his school IT (unless they're automatic).

Click on the "Advanced" button and select "TCP/IP" from the top menu.

"Configure IPv4": Select "Using DHCP"

"Configure IPv6": Select "Automatically"

That should do it. Those settings I mentioned above should already be set but in case they're not have your son change them.

Regards.

OP
J

JAD

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but it did not work. Although my son did not have the DNS information - so we presumed it was set automatically. I asked my son to find another MacBook user on his floor and compare settings. What do you suggest now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Once at college, he has been unable to connect to the Internet via the college's network using the Ethernet cable provided. The school's IT people... have not solved the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
Escalate the issue with the school's IT department. Speak to their level 2 techs and/or level 3 techs if they have them.

There is simply no acceptable excuse for why they can't help him.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the help, but it did not work. Although my son did not have the DNS information - so we presumed it was set automatically. I asked my son to find another MacBook user on his floor and compare settings. What do you suggest now?

Comparing settings with another Mac user is a good idea. But as D3v1L80Y has stated, someone from the school IT should be able to provide help. One of the problems I have personally run into with IT (whether it be a school or ISP) is that most know nothing about a Mac or OS X. Unfortunately when you run into a situation like that you're pretty much on your own.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.