HOT macbook pro, what options do I have?

Reaction score
I have a late 2008 MBP, and I have been monitoring the temps. I would like to first note that I am a computer technician (primarily PC, but its all the same hardware wise).

Anyhow, average temps run around 47 C / 122 F - 51c, and that's with a very light load. As I increase my web usage and day to day computer activities it often goes up to 55-60c. And running streaming video, like flash video, it sky rockets to 75c or so, which is somewhere around 200 F. And of course teh GPU gets almost twice as hot (All temps are with an antec notebook cooler underneath, which appears to be useless)

Now PC's would usually shut down around 70c, and I get the impression from various threads that that Mac can go a lot hotter, but whats the point when I can also burn my hand by touching it above the keyboard

I'll try not to drag on, but I brought it by the apple store since its still under warranty, and the guy ran some test, probably hardware, and couldn't tell me anything about the temps, as if apple has no official word on that. What are my options, is the new one going to be any better, maybe I'll just have to sell it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Those CPU temps look totally within normal range of all the temp postings I've seen in the last 3 years on any Mac notebook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.