• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Does any camera work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I have a PowerBook G4 and am trying to hook up a camera....good lord...any camera at this point that will work with iMovie 5.0.2, Yes it's an old version, but iMovie 08 and 09 both require an Intel-based mac processor to operate an obviously, my G4 does not have that.

So I have tried a multiple list of things. The first being to install Adobe Premiere, which didn't work, because that also needs an intel based processor for Mac (G5 or higher)

I have tried two different cameras, both of which are said to be Mac compatible, but neither is recognized by the iMovie version I have.

Went to the IT store and was told that iMovie 08 would work with a G4, because it was before they upgraded to the Intel requirements. I asked if they were sure, they confidently agreed. Went and bought 08 on eBay and sure enough, iMovie needs an Intel processor, won't load.

Does ANYONE know of ANY camera, program or miracle that will allow me to download digital video, and edit it, without having to force myself into a new Mac laptop? There shouldn't be this much of a problem and I can't imagine I am the only person who still has a G4 PowerBook. How do I get my current version of iMovie (5.0.2) to recognize a camera?

Any info or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PBS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Any mini dv camera using firewire should work. What camera where you using and what port.

OP
P
Reaction score
Any mini dv camera using firewire should work. What camera where you using and what port.

First was a JVC DualCam....then a Sony. Both used the firewire port on the right hand side of the laptop. Neither were recognized.

Are you talking about the port setting? Not sure then, or at least not familiar with setting that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The first thing you need to know; is the camera being seen by the operating system? Since you talk about iMovie 08, I'm going to assume you have some version of OS X.

Connect a camera and turn it on. Open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. Under the Hardware section click on the Firewire entry. Do you see the camera?

Are you switching the camera to VCR/Playback mode when connecting to iMovie?

System requirements of iMovie 08 is not just for Intel, but does exclude your machine. There might be a way to force load it on to your machine.

Telling us you used a JVC DualCam and a Sony doesn't tell us much. Be specific.

OP
P
Reaction score
The first thing you need to know; is the camera being seen by the operating system? Since you talk about iMovie 08, I'm going to assume you have some version of OS X.

Connect a camera and turn it on. Open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. Under the Hardware section click on the Firewire entry. Do you see the camera?

Are you switching the camera to VCR/Playback mode when connecting to iMovie?

System requirements of iMovie 08 is not just for Intel, but does exclude your machine. There might be a way to force load it on to your machine.

Telling us you used a JVC DualCam and a Sony doesn't tell us much. Be specific.

Alright I am going to try and be specific as possible here. I am using what is labeled as a JVC Mini DV DualCam Digital camcorder. The only camera-to-computer connection is a firewire that I am plugging into the firewire port on the right hand side of my G4 PowerBook. It would appear that I still have iMovie 06 as the version I am currently running is 5.0.2.

Now if by System Profiler you mean System Preferences, under the Hardware section, there is no mention, tab, icon or reference to Firewire entry. I would find it difficult to believe....well then again with Apple, i wouldn't be surprised....if there is a firewire port, but for some reason, I have no firewire access or card.

Can you advise?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
He means System Profiler - located in the Applications / Utilities folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jvc mini dv will work, sony will not. Click apple icon top left, then click about this mac, then more info, contents harware, you should see firewire in the hardware list if you have it. If you dont see it you don't have it. If you do you could have a bad cable. Start simple and move to other things. Do you know anyone with a mac you could test the cable and camcorder with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, do you open i movie first, then plug in the camera?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
jvc mini dv will work, sony will not.

Did I miss something in the OP posts specifying which Sony he had? Sony miniDV camera do work. Well, OK, some might not. Also some Sony cameras require a change via their menu to work. At least HDV ones. The OP may need to read the camera manual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Others have explained how to find and use System Profiler. Thanks guys/gals/aliens! ;)

Do connection test first. If the camera isn't seen, the problem is likely one of three things; cable, firewire on computer, firewire on camera. At minimum, I'd expect to see the camera listed via System Profiler, when it is turned on.

When I say be specific about camera models, I mean give the code the manufacturer uses, like for a JVC camera it might be "GR DVX7". It should be printed on the camera somewhere. The reason I like specifics is that it can help people help you. Either someone has experience with the model, or we can look it up to understand the specs of the camera which may help with the answer. Usually the manuals are available on line too.

From your description, I've derived that you have a Powerbook G4 running in the Ghz range. I just note this, just because.

Reaction score
I was also wondering about this problem.
Now my confusion is not so more as before.
Thank you for sharing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.