Transferring files from HD to External HD

Reaction score
I've really never messed with an external HD before. I transferred files from my HD to my external HD. I then deleted the files on the HD so I can free up space. Thinking I had the files on my external HD, since they were visibly there, I tried to open them up and all was lost/gone/no where to be found. How do I take apps/documents/music etc... from my HD to my external HD without losing everything? I hope I explained it correctly. Please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How do you know the files that you transferred from the internal HD to the external were actually transferred? How did you do the transfer? What I suspect you may have done was create an alias of the files instead of actually moving them. Once the original files are deleted from the source (internal hard drive), the alias' would disappear.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
I figured since I could see them in my external HD, they were there/transferred. I could open everything I had on there. As soon as I deleted from my HD I couldn't open any of the files. I dragged and dropped straight from the HD to the external HD. I'm guessing it was a mistake hmmm LOL! At the time it said copying such and such file to my external HD. I just want to know the proper way to transfer from HD to EHD without losing my files. Thank you for responding...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.