missing files in Parallels after archive reinstall of mac os x

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my very first post and i really hope someone here can help me ;D

About a week ago after doing a software upgrade on my mac os x I begun experiencing internet problems, really really slow. I called apple and after doing several things to see what the problem was they said that the best thing to do is to reinstall os x in archive mode (or whatever that is) the technician assured me that all my files, applications and settings would still be there.

After I finished reinstalling os x i couldnt find my files or applications, after doing some research I found that they were all stored in a folder called "previous systems". I was so relieved!!!
So I begun dragging and dropping applications and files to where they belong. Everything started working fine. Entourage, word, excel, photoshop....until i got to Parallels.

I clicked and dragged everything that i think belongs to Parallels but when i tried running it, a window popped up saying "Parallel Mounter is unable to start, because required files are missing. Please reinstall Parallels Desktop and try again."

What am I missing? I was told all my applications would run just fine and i wouldn't have to reinstall things...i can't reinstall parallels because i dont have the software anymore. Can someone help? ....does any know where all the Parallels files are stored?..maybe i missed moving some of them over..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Parallels has an installer so it won't be as easy as simply dragging the app bundle back to the Applications folder. Try downloading the demo here and inserting your product key.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It might be there but only you would know where it is. Did you use Parallels 4.0 before? It is very possible that an older key will not work with Parallels 4.0.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i had an older version because when i tried dowloading 4.0 it looked completely different.

I managed to download 4.0 with serial from a torrent...but when i tried running it says "no operating system is installed in your virtual machine" and then it asks to insert windows xp disc and serial....ugh...i dont have those anymore...why does it need it? can't it just recognize the partition with the windows xp that's already installed? is there a way to do that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.