external monitors and camcorders with a new Mac

Reaction score
Last week, I made the big jump from PC to Apple and purchased the new 13-inch Macbook Pro. I'm loving it so far, but there are some questions that I need some answers for:

(1) I would like to hook up my laptop to my monitor. I understand that there is a VGA or DVI adapter that I need to get. I was wondering what the differences are, and how do I know which one I should get.

(2) I want to connect my camcorder to my laptop to upload videos, but there's no FireWire port. What the heck? Is there a way to transfer my stuff at all?

These are very newbie questions, I know, so please bear with me! Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Last week, I made the big jump from PC to Apple and purchased the new 13-inch Macbook Pro. I'm loving it so far, but there are some questions that I need some answers for:

(1) I would like to hook up my laptop to my monitor. I understand that there is a VGA or DVI adapter that I need to get. I was wondering what the differences are, and how do I know which one I should get.

(2) I want to connect my camcorder to my laptop to upload videos, but there's no FireWire port. What the heck? Is there a way to transfer my stuff at all?

These are very newbie questions, I know, so please bear with me! Thanks!

Welcome!

Question #1...

Well you could take your laptop with you to the store, and the Apple employees will be sure to get you the correct adapter. Or...the DVI to VGA adapter is fairly common at the Apple Store...so it's not hard find. There is also a "mini-DVI"...adapter so don't confuse the two.

Question #2:

Your laptop probably has USB...can your camcorder do USB (yeah I know that its slower)?

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. BTW...sometimes posting the specs of your computer can help when answering questions as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
When did you buy your Macbook Pro? If it's any one released since june of this year (like mine) it has a firewire 800 port. That uses a different cable connector from the firewire 400 port cable you probably have, but you do have a firewire port. You can get an appropriate cable from just about anywhere electronical to hook up your camera.

Now if you bought a first gen aluminum Macbook (non 'Pro') those don't have firewire anything. Gotta use USB, but your's should have the port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.