(Continuous) Device Removal Error?

Reaction score
So, the other day I got myself a lovely iMac for school, and so far, it's been treating me wonderfully!

However, given as how I'm the only one in the family who has one, I've run into a slight problem. My father, although a big Windows OS buff, was messing around with my computer, and decided to yank out a USB drive without ejecting it. Naturally, an error message showed up, but after closing it and scolding him, I hoped it just wouldn't happen again.

But alas! Now, every single time I plug in a USB drive, it ejects on its own after a few minutes (sometimes seconds) and the same error message comes up. I've tried ejecting it from the desktop and from the finder, on separate occasions, waiting a bit, and trying again, even restarting, but tragically, the issue persists.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does it happen with just the one drive or all USB devices? And, does it occur when plugging the same USB drive into other USB ports on the iMac?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.